View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
Hi

Its much more then that
For one the quality of the metal used in the engines is much higher quality in top brand companies like honda yamaha aprillia vespa etc, most Chinese products use lower quality pot metal
Some like Sym use ceramic coatings for their cylinders, 4 valve heads etc
http://alliancepowersports.com/about/
My aprilia sr is another that has a higher quality and technology then your typical chinese scoot
http://www.motorscooter.com.au/html/...r50/ditech.htm
I love all brands and makes, in fact i own and ride Chinese scoots but i do see the big difference between big name brands and the generic Chinese scoots
There is really no comparison
You DO get what you pay for
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank
Well put.

I know Chinese scooters are very inexpensive. With proper maintenance and replacing a few parts from the beginning a decent scooter mechanic can keep one running and have a fair amount of reliability and longevity. Not a bad bang for the buck, definitely cheaper than a Japanese or high end Taiwanese scooter. Some say the Chinese scooter cost so much less that the extra quality of a high priced machine isn't justified.

I've owned a few "high priced" name brand scooters and I thought the cost was worth it. However, I like a good bargain too, and lately I've changed my preference.

I've found that SYM and Kymco make quality Taiwanese scooters manufactured in mainland China under the same strict quality control as their more expensive models.

Tomos Nitro, all Lance scooters are Taiwanese quality scooters made by SYM. Kymco does the same thing with the Agility and Like models. Eton scooters are made in Taiwan too, but most people group them with Chinese made and there are many leftover models for cheap.

In 125-150cc sizes these scooters cost anywhere from $1800 to $2500 new. Not too much above the upper end of $1700 mentioned by someone for Chinese scooters. These scooters are mechanically equal to similar models from Japan, though the plastics aren't quite as good (but not brittle and ill fitting like some Chinese scooters). For the most part they use generic GY6 engines and you can buy both cheap Chinese parts or higher quality parts from many different sources should the need arise.

I found several people who bought new older stock Eton Matrix 150cc scooters for $1500 out the door. Wide 12" tires, dual disc brakes, large seat with good storage, and a Taiwanese GY6 that makes 10.5 HP and pushes the 210 lbs scooter to an actual 60-65 mph bone stock. I wish I could have found that deal before I bought my Tomos Nitro 150 for $1899 shipped to my door.

No regrets though, my wife and I have toured over 4000 miles on two lane highways and off road through some pretty gnarly stuff and the scooter has been bulletproof. 85 mpg and cruising 50-60 mph most of the time. We have ridden 300 miles in a day riding two up on the Tomos Nitro 150 and won't hesitate to take it anywhere, any distance. For comparison we owned a SYM HD200 EVO before that and the Tomos has been every bit as reliable and roadworthy.