View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #1

Runs Great / Don't Turn it Off

I recently installed an AirSal bbk into my scoot and got it fired up...ran it for a while, changed the oil & repeat. It runs like a top (ok maybe a tad rich), but here's the thing...getting it to start can be a pain, let me explain.

I bought this scooter as a project for $100. The electric starter never worked well enough to get the motor to fire up. Step-dad thinks it was due to a craptastic battery and personally I never cared because I don't mind kicking it over. Well now the bbk is in and compression is high - even with a monster battery, the electric starter probably isn't going to cut it (I'm still ok with this). On top of this, the starter button is kaput.

Kicking it over was fine for a bit, but then things inside the belt cover got weird. It would bind up, skip a tooth, overall just work like total pewp. Finally, I got stranded 3 miles from home at 11:30pm and pushed it home because the belt cover broke...kick starter dangling from the spring.

I bought a new cover & idler (there were some broken teeth) and got everything cleaned, greased and back together. It's still loose/wonky and now she lies dormant in the garage.

So tell me - are these things not supposed to be kicked over that often? Seems the tolerances in the kick start assembly aren't the greatest(?) I have seen complete assemblies for sale but don't want to throw $70 at a problem if it's likely I am going to repeat it again.

Login or Register to Remove Ads