View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #9

Well, from the camera it's very hard to see how the situation was.
The car may already be riding on the right lane, and the scoot may be overpassing the car on the right shoulder, which would be illegal.

The car may also be in the center lane, trying to make a right illegally, while the scooter may be on the right lane, which could be a lane for right only, trying to overtake the car instead of making a right; which would also be illegal.

So in both those cases, the scoot would be at fault, and there's no way you can figure out from the angle of the vid, what exactly was the case, unless you have more info available...

Regardless of this, the scoot wasn't driving defensively.
When I ride behind/next to a car, that drives suspiciously slow, I try to match the speed of the car, and overtake it ~+5MPH; not fly by them. I'd have a 6th sense telling me that car is not doing what it supposed to do (you can see from the vid, that it actually drives a lot slower than all other traffic).
And the car making a right, would be in one of my simulated possible scenario's.
If it did make a right, right in front of me, ~5MPH gives me sufficient time to apply emergency braking.
Racing past the car at speeds greater than 20MPH faster than the car, does not give me any safety zone, in case something does go wrong.