View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carasdad View Post
.1/.2Vac is arriving at the ignition coil?? Well we know that is not good and won't arc. Stator is down from 80V to 60v...odd. But it started to spark then stopped. Tells me something is shorted and burning a wind in the pickup or stator...possibly. Even a stator with only 60 volts will excite the coil and induce a spark. Weak yes..orange in color but it will be there. The only thing between your stator and Coil is the CDI. But you said you swapped CDI's so that rules out that the Electrolytic Capacitor in the CDI is bad. This sounds to me like a bad ground..or a short to ground from a hot wire. Usually the short to ground is found in the kill switch wire in the handlebar switch set or CDI itself (from my experience) Sad to say but my Dad was an Electronics Engineer and you got stuck with me.. The one who chose the Medical field vice the Mechanical or Electrical field. He did drill me hard as a kid on Watts..Amps..Volts..Current..Resistance..Ohms law and all that stuff. But still..we WILL figure this one out..
Glenn
I did get identical results from 2 different stator/ trigger coil combinations, and 2 different new CDIs today.
A few weeks ago I did remove the wiring harness (which was very wet at the time) and let it dry out, then put lengths of marine heat-shrink tubing around every splice. The factory splices were only wrapped with a bit of electrical tape, so it seemed there was room for improvement. Also, I added and additional ground wire from the CDI's ground wire directly to the frame.

My father was an electronics tech as well, he started on the in the Air Force then ended up repairing TVs and such.
Thanks for your help!

Login or Register to Remove Ads