View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post
I've replaced the rear tire on my Kymco twice now. The first time was due to my picking up a nail (happens). The 2nd time is just wear. I used the moderately priced Dunlops the last time. I don't see much difference in performance between them and the Pirellis's I used to use.

I guess the better question is....what do most of us use? why?
Don't mean to start too much trouble , but your bike sounds like a candidate for a 165/65R14 Sunny SN828 ($34.58) or Federal SS-675 ($43.70) car tire available from tires-easy.com

A Federal SS-675 145/70R12 tire was on my Honda Reflex for 35,000 miles before being changed. (and still could have gone a couple thousand miles more) $23 and change for the tire and $7 for shipping. I just couldn't go wrong on a tire that lasted 6X longer than the standard scooter tire.

For some, this is a controversial subject; some swear by it while others will just swear AT it. Get informed about both sides of the subject (pro - con) if you decide to consider it. It is something you might want to check into IMO.

Car tires do last far, far longer than scooter tires. I made a car tire pro-con list for another member and could send it if you'd like.

To be fair, I am biased in favor of the "Dark side". (using a car tire on the rear of a motorcycle/scooter) But fair enough (IMO) to admit some things that could honestly be considered negatives.

Originator of using a car tire on the Honda Reflex scooter since June 6, 2008
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me