View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #4

Barely made it means forced lower rpm, and turn around if you need foot power.

I've been modifying these 50cc GY6s for about 5 years, and for MY 200lbs, this is what works...
20mm cvk carb, drilled open (oem) air box, those Ebay shorty mufflers, 6-7 gram rollers, 2000 rpm control spring in the rear pulley section, 1500 rpm fly springs in the clutch.

These engines make about 3.5 HP, and 3lbs of torque. Obviously not enough to move more than itself up a hill.
I can provide more info on the upgrades if you want.

The idea behind the upgrades is to improve torque over RPM. The carb/air box/exhaust mods allow the bike to breath better, and MAYBE nudge you closer to 4HP. They cost less than a hundred bucks, and take about 1/2 hour to install. I do these changes in about 10-15 minutes.
The CVT mods, springs, and rollers/sliders, take about 40 minutes, and cost about 35 bucks. This is where you are tuning the CVT to be more efficient, and capable of dealing with hills.
The spring/roller mods allow the pulleys to reset to a lower ratio at lower RPM (hill), and make for a MUCH better all around bike.

The shop that you chose to buy from will be familiar with these mods, and SHOULD do them all for you pre-delivery WITH AN OEM WARRANTY!!!
If they claim this or that about the warranty, that only means one thing to me. They are not familiar with what those mods do, and are not 100% confidant in their work.

There is little to no point in buying a bike that you cannot ride in your area so that BS about voiding warranty is just a cover story for "We're not sure what will happen if we install this for you."
If they understand what an air fuel ratio is, and know how to set that correctly, you have good times in front of you.