View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #1

Truth about gy6 150cc scooters

Okay some of the things people say about 150cc gy6 bikes are ri-DONK-ulous! Time to set the record straight!

1) Value

A 150cc gy6 bike sells for between 600 and 1700 NEW. Therefore, your bike with 3k miles on it and no mods is NOT worth 1200.

But what about that bike you spent 1000 to hook up with every mod you can think of? Well that bike is worth LESS than stock. Sorry, but as soon as you start modding a vehicle (any vehicle) it LOOSES value. Yes it would be nice to see a huge return on your project, but that's just not the case. Mods depreciate the value. That said; mods can make your bike better, just less valuable.

2) Speed

You gy6 bike with 13" wheels will do 55mph stock AFTER break in. Yes I know the speedo says 140kmph, but they are inaccurate and USUALLY IN KMPH. To break it down 100kmph= about 60mph.

You cannot gauge your speed using a stock speedo. Use a GPS. And not a phone, USE A GPS UNIT. I have checked my own bike (which is very modded) with a Garmin and a Tom-Tom and have found it goes about 67mph MAXIMUM on flats. The highest speed I have attained is 83mph ON A LARGE STEEP DOWNHILL. Do not determine your top speed on a DOWNHILL, that is NOT your true top speed. Your true top speed is WHAT YOUR BIKE DOES ACCORDING TO A GPS ON A FLAT SURFACE.

3) Mileage

Simply put, varies greatly depending on roads, weather and hills. A modded 150cc should get about 60mpg on varied terrain, 70-75 mpg on FLATS ONLY. Note the more carb mods and CVT mods you do, usually the less MPG.

4) Reliability

I have been around bikes my entire life. I have been riding all manner of bike since I was 4. And I will say right now, that a Roketa (which is pretty low-end as far as gy6 bikes go) is just as durable and reliable as any Honda/Tomos/Yamaha/Burgman I have ever ridden. The "good" bike break just as much, and cost more to fix. Yes the initial stock parts on a low-end gy6 are pretty cheapo, but the replacements are pretty damned good and super cheap (a KOSO moly-coated variator only costs 70 bucks). Yes my stock carb was a POS, but the replacement I bought for 40 bucks and changed out the jets for another 9 dollars is a great carb, and is easily the same (if not better) quality than the one on my Kymco.

The biggest quality issue on these bikes is the rubber parts. So rather than mess around, simply change all your hoses with Tygon. This should only cost about 20 bucks TOTAL. And if you have some no-name tires, get some decent tires like Duro, Kenda, Pirrelli or Michelin.

As an avid scooter rider ( I own 7 currently) I cannot say a gy6 is automatically garbage. Yes they are not Aprillas or even Kymcos, but with a few cheap part swaps they get pretty darned close.

Just like any machine,you get out what you put in. Gy6 bikes are practically free compared to "good" bikes, and even with all mods done, a great gy6 can be made for LESS THAN HALF what a "good" bike costs.

And lastly if you are expecting a a repair free scooter, then you might as well sit around and wait fpr Santa Clause to ride up on a unicorn and take you to Fairy Land where no scooter ever breaks down. Scooters will break, Vespa or gy6, because they are machines, and machines break with use, period.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.

Login or Register to Remove Ads