View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #9

Hank, I'm with you but, for a reliable daily ride in order to do that you need the kit, about $60 (cheap from ebay a quality kit is quite a bit more right?) then you need to have the cases bored right? How much is that? $50? more? To really be sure about that don't you want a new crank?? Any way a full rebuild of the engine is not "easy" in most people's minds, like he says. Yes with serious rebuild and replacement of everything but the cases you can make 12 hp, but he said "With proper, inexpensive, easy to do mods" Easy to do mods for me are performance pipes, air filters, roller weights, etc. Not total rebuilds. I can rebuild an engine but it is not easy. It takes a high level of competency and careful planning preparation and deliberate methods to get it right. You will take up a good 10 hrs at least. I'm not saying a GY6 can't make that power just that it isn't easy like he said. To do what you said and do it right with quality parts it's really going to cost around $500 isn't it?? You can get a used Honda Elite 200 for around $1500 and it will make reliable 12ish hp for you for the rest of your life... Not trying to bust anyone's chops really I just know what kind of power your starting with and a pipe and air filter isn't going to give you a horse power increase in excess of 50%. Once again Chinese rides are great scoots for 40-50 mph around town but no matter what you do I don't think you will ever finish a Scooter Cannonball or tour reliably...

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing