View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootnwinn View Post
I enjoy it too Hank I just built my Vespa back to stock (circlip on the wrist pin trashed the other top end when it stopped being happy in or near its groove) and it isn't hard for me but you do have to pay attention. I mainly was concerned that people would be thinking they could do "easy" stuff and suddenly turn their 7-9 hp engine into a real screamer. It isn't as simple as that, though I do admire his optimism.
My bike is quite the "screamer" now. It has no internal mods, just a great carb, and CVT. Stock, at 1300 miles, it went 50mph GPS verified. Now it hits 65mph GPS.

my buddy's 1p57 with BBK can do 70+, but he also has a 30mm flatslide carb.

We both are running KOSO variators with 12g sliders. We are both using 'performance' clutches, mine has red springs and his has blue.

So yes, much much performance can be produced without a BBK, but a BBK give you one hell of a kick.

I do admit, working on these bikes is easy to me. It may not be easy to others. I've been an automotive technician since 1997, and I will say the gy6 is super-easy compared to even a primitive car engine (like a Chevy small block) . They do take a bit of wrenching skill, but not anymore than than your typical lawnmower, and not anymore than any other type of scooter.

That said, I work on my gy6 much less than I do my Honda c-90, but that could simply be because the C-90 is growing old.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.