View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #9

I went for the DongFang D250-RTC-B, the naked bike. Aside from the speedometer, it seems from the photo's that also the rear sprocket has changed. On the racing bike it's 46T, on the naked bike 42T (roughly estimated from counting the chain links).

That means that the naked bike out of the box is geared better too, most likely has a higher top speed, and higher fuel economy.
I have a similar bike, the MC-05-127, which had a similar gearing with a 41T rear sprocket, and I changed it to a 31T sprocket.
The bike now needs to really rev it to keep up with the faster accelerating cars, but it can (barely), and is a great econo bike at 100MPG.
I recently did a 150Mile trip on only $4 on gas!
I probably will gear the naked bike similarly.
It's double the cc's, pushing only 20% more weight (bike + rider), so it'll accelerate much better, while I estimate fuel economy would be able to be raised to ~85 to 95MPG. My aim is 100MPG on this naked bike, and I think I might even attain it, with the right gearing.
I've done all kinds of analyses, until I can actually perform the tests, and think that the gear change will be specifically aimed for my riding situation (suburbs 35-45MPH, with occasional 60MPH highway riding).

As far as the racing bike, I don't like the riding ergonomics (being ducked forward), and I don't like the fact that racing bikes are much more the target of thieves.
Once the stock tires wear out, I will try to replace them with higher profile tires, as the current tires seem too flat (they probably saved $1 on tires by making them low profile).