View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 12:28 AM   #10

sea foam works by (for lack of a better phrase) steam cleaning the combustion chamber not with water but with a petroleum distillate based cleaning chemical (If I remember what is in it right). and yes ethanol is very corrosive to carburetors and carbureted fuel systems, It isn't noticeable in computer controlled fuel injection because the computer compensates for it, but I have had mechanically gasoline injected engines come in where the entire fuel system had to be replaced due to the ethanol in the fuel melting plastic filter elements, rubber fuel lines and gumming the extremely tight tolerance precision fit fuel metering systems up. So from my experiences I would recommend avoiding ethanol fuels in any carbureted or mechanically injected gasoline engine (yes those do exist for an example vw rabbit, but that's off topic). The fact is ethanol fuel can and will eventually damage a carburetor and even cause a Excessively lean condition that may cause engine damage, or detonation (aka ping, knock) this can be prevented by keeping the fuel system clean keeping air fuel in the right ratios usually between 13.7 to 14.2 works best for carbureted engines (yes stoichiometric ratio is 14.7) being a little fuel rich is better than being lean. ive even seen some Hondas that ran at 18:1 at idle, but those richened back up when put under any load examples when put into gear, ac turned on, steering wheel turned to lock which loads the steering pump, and any higher than stock electrical load for examples (yes I went slightly off topic again).