View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #8

When I search the various sites for used scooters, so freaking many scooters are for sale for pennies on the dollar, why not get some used ones, and teach yourself how to get them running, and resell them once you get them sussed out properly.
You may need to buy a few different service manuals, but I can tell you small scooter mechanics seem to be very scarce in my area anyway.
And, from all the people that zip through here asking the same "how do I", "it does not start", "where do I get", questions, to me it shows a need, a need is how business is built up or created to fulfill a need.
Just buying a crated new one, then doing a PDI is where you could start, but what did you really learn as far as being a mechanic?
There oh so many slightly used scooters out there, I'd try and capitalize on that first. If you bitch up a rebuild on something you spent a couple of hundred bucks on over a new machine for $1500.00 or so, you take less of a hit.
I think jumping into the scooter repair world is a excellent idea, maybe even a sweet niche business, for the hard working person.
It's kind of funny, but yesterday, just stopping to at a friends house, saw their Baja 150 scooter, in the garage, 1200 miles on it, a 2007 or 08. The first thing out of his mouth, damn man, this thing ran great for the first 1200 miles now it will not start. I told him to adjust the valves.
But others in the garage said, no it's the carb, no it's electrical, no it's ...... so they will start buying parts, and swap them all willy nilly, and maybe get it running, or it will be just another fine scooter that becomes garage art, sitting year after year, not running.
Wish you the best man, what ever you do. Just my $.02