View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #18

Whoa, Nelly. Having your e-mail address in no way gives hackers access to your computer. That is absolutely false. I've worked on computers and networks for 22 years and while I may know jack shid about scooters, I know computers.

Having your e-mail address will allow a so-inclined person to send you junk mail, or, to sign you up to receive a bunch of junk mail you don't want. This is why e-mail services have spam filters. On Yahoo! Mail, for example, you don't have to ever read spam. You just click "empty" on the spam folder or just set it up to automatically empty spam. Yes, some will still get through, but when you click on them as spam, the e-mail service's spam filters get sharpened, and more capable. It can be a slow process.

The paranoia about what somebody can do to you having only your e-mail address is not warranted. If you have your anti-virus stuff up to date, a capable firewall deployed, and your anti-malware/spyware/adware software defenses/scans active, you have nothing to worry about.

As far as the legitimacy of this forum, I'm still laughing at this brilliant line by scootnwinn and I totally agree with it: "No one is gonna hack a Chinese scooter site there is no money here."

Login or Register to Remove Ads