View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #1

Help Scooter Starting Issues

Hello and thank you for the help. A few days ago I ran my scooter after 7 months of sitting outside. I meant to empty the entire fuel line, but I only emptied what was in the tubes leading to the fuel filter and not what was already in the canister. Anyway, I filled the scooter with 91 fuel and added two capfuls of fuel treatment. It eventually ran after quite a few kicks and about 10 ten-second sputters. It ran beautifully for a few blocks. I then went to the gas station turned off my scooter and topped it off with gas. It started with no problems and i drove another block back home, turned off the scooter was not able to get it started again.

After several attempts I noticed fuel leaking from the air filter area (just beneath it). I tried an electric start still no go.

After several more tries of trying to get the scooter running (and taking breaks in between to let the flooded engine drain), I removed the spark plug to see if the engine was flooded. As I kicked all the excess gas came out. I also removed the air filter and dried the inside as best i could.

when looking at the spark plug (which is about a year old) I did notice gas and what looked like oil on it. After wiping it down, I sprayed a small dab of starter fluid in the cylinder and air intake, re-installed the same spark plug and it still would not start.

I hope this makes sense, I'd like to hear anyone's input or experience with this type of problem or how I can get my scooter started again!

Some background info:
The Scoot is a Yumbo 2003 RoadPower and has a 125cc 4-stroke engine with 1,500 miles on it. Petcock, fuel filter, spark plug replaced about a year ago. The scooter also has always had a recharging problem. I think its the stator .

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by nsr0605; 01-25-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: make more sense