View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 AM   #13

Thanks for the opinions.
I've tried looking around.
It seems the EVO is a TaoTao EVO 150.
On their website they mention that the ATM50-A1 goes 30-35MPH, but I've been able to do 48 on those. And I've had 2,5k miles of worry free riding around, so I tend to be favorable to TaoTao.

Anyone knows where I can find more information about the VIP?
I've been looking around, but other than an occasional photo, there's not much real life experience out there.
I've seen the VIP scooters on south beach, and they all have rusted exhaust pipes, look old, and see a lot of them in the repair shops.

The EVO not only looks better, but seems to be bigger too.
I've heard stories of 150cc scooter frames torque-ing at high speeds, and I don't want to risk it with an unsafe bike. Though I like the fact that it comes in a 50cc size!
The TaoTao ATM50 at 45MPH probably torques a bit, but I believe the EVO150 looks bigger and stronger; so it might not be an issue.

Two things I would want to know:
1- Is it easy to replace the gears on these bikes, to rev them for higher gears (more topend, better MPG, less acceleration)?
2- Are the spark plugs and engine parts easily accessible? (like just screwing off a few bolts on the seat gives me access to the engine?)

I'm going to call TaoTao USA to verify some information on access to the engine tomorrow, and keep you guys updated about it.
On the ATM50, it's releasing 3 bolts, and the seat comes off, and you've got access to the engine.
On their CY50's that's not the case, and nearly all tupperware needs to be peeled off.

I'm leaning 75% for the EVO, 25% for the VIP so far. But perhaps there are still some arguments I've overlooked..?
One thing I'd like to know is how the VIP performs against the EVO, if it's really going to be that faster.
I've learned, that quite often chinese scooter speedometers have a 'secret message' in them.
They do over rate the speed somewhat, but when you see the red line at a certain speed (eg: 40MPH, you know the scooter can do ~40MPH on GPS, even if the speedometer shows 50MPH
Was the case with all 3 of my scooters!

Both EVO and VIP redline is at 50MPH though...

I'll quote superiorpowersports on the VIP:
Quote:
This sporty 150cc scooter comes with larger 13" tires, ...., which means that not only does it ride smoother and handle better but can easily handle two passengers. A powerful rock solid GY6150cc motor is packed into the smaller frame (smallest in our 150cc class) to make this one of the fastest and sportiest scooters we have.
Large 13" tires, small frame, and quoted to be the fastest and sportiest scooter they carry.

What stood out on the EVO review, was:
Quote:
high performance aluminum exhaust pipe, dual stage paint treatment, halogen bulbs, high quality polyurethane seat
Aluminum exhaust does not rust as easily,
Dual stage paint treatment, does that happen on a lot of scoots?
Halogen bulbs, and the seat looks nicer.

If the VIP scooter has exactly the same internals as the EVO, it will be faster due to it's larger tires, and acceleration perhaps the same due to it being lighter in weight.