View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #8

Since we are on the subject, perhaps we should point out a couple other safety items related to cold weather starting.

IF your battery is severely depleted and you use a battery charger, a jump box, or even a car to supply power for starting-- exercise great caution-- batteries (lead /acid) that are even partially frozen have been known to explode when connecting power to them.

So, if your battery is frozen, remove it, take it in the house and warm it up before attempting a jump.

If you fail to do this, but get your scooter started, your AC charging system could supply enough power to cause an explosion WHILE you are riding. Most of the GY6 50cc stators only put out about 5 amps max, but if you have upgraded it and followed most parts sellers & youtube videos, then it can put out 10amps. both of these outputs into a frozen battery of that size could cause an explosion. the risk is too just too great.

I personally had an unknown at the time frozen battery explode when I attempted to jump start a vehicle with a Generac booster (up to 500 amp output). It exploded within 5 seconds of supplying power. I was far enough away that when it exploded, none of the acid got on me, but it covered the car and it had to be repainted.

If you are using starting fluid (ether) or any substitute fuel source to start a vehicle, use it sparingly and relocate the can away from where you originally sprayed, before cranking the scooter or car. Do not have your face above the carb or throttle body while cranking. A backfire can remove your eyebrows rather quickly or even cause the can to explode.