View Single Post
Old 06-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy5000 View Post
Called it!

Buy an assembled head on Amazon, they sell for about $30. I would not chance repairing a head as the aluminum is very cheap and ductile. A valve issue 99% of the time will distort the valve guides beyond repair.
So, I'm having this mental argument with my self... I could:
  1. Pull the head apart clean it up and lap the valves.
  2. Buy a complete replacement head w/vavles installed
  3. buy a BBK kit with a complete head.

Sounds like Option 1 may not be a good idea.... I suspect that option 3 would require me to re-jet the carb get new rollers and lead me down the path of spending a bunch more money to get it to run right?

I mean it's not all about the $$ but I don't want to spend the money for a BBK and then have to spend a bunch more time and money to get it and keep it running right.... Kinda wanna bring this to a close and go back to tinkering on my scoot

Option 2 sounds like the best option? I mean I need the kid to have a fairly reliable scooter, daily driver and all that... of course he is interested in more speed but I don't want to spend every weekend tinkering on his scooter either.

I'm a little shocked... the other ATM50 in the family has been a tank! My oldest son has it at school, rode it all winter, has put it through 3000 miles (not KM) of the hell of college life and it still runs awesome. guess you never know?

Anywho dawgs before I order parts I ask your opinion? lap the valves? stock new head? BBK? if you have experience with a BBK as a daily driver I'd be interested in hearing it.

Last edited by rlshepard; 06-14-2015 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling