View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #22

Well hopefully this isn't a bad sign. Hit about 70 kilometers on the bike. Needed to run about half a mile down the road to the store to grab a couple items, this start was the first time the bike had a hard time starting. Get to the store just fine. When I go to leave bike won't start! Won't start normally and won't kick start. Ruh roh.

So the fun begins. Before the battery was completely dead it sounded like the starter was turning over but the engine just wasn't going. So I think maybe the fuel filter we stuck on there was the problem. Put the original fuel filter on, same problem, I also learned that replacing the fuel filter with a full tank of gas is NOT awesome as I end up wearing some gasoline haha.

Next I decide to put back in the original spark plug. Same issue, won't start. I pull the fuel line going to the engine and fuel drips out. About 30 minutes deep at this point and pretty frustrated. So I take a deep breath, watch a youtube video about kickstarting(this is my first experience attempting to kickstart something) as the battery is completely dead so its my only option. So I decide to add some fuel throttle twist to my kickstarting and voila she starts up!

That was about a week ago. She's been only a kickstarting machine at this point. I also experienced a new issue which has led me to the conclusion I'm getting to as the root cause, I can no longer idle and not expect it to die. The only time it has died was luckily while I was getting gas and had just pulled away from the pump but was still in the parking lot. Since then I've been able to tickle the throttle to keep it from dieing when I'm stopped though it would definitely die otherwise as the RPMs slowly drop from the normal 17-1800ish we had it set at.

So far 2 symptoms, it will only start with a kickstart and it will die while idle. 3rd symptom: a coldstart takes about 10 minutes of playing with the throttle and kickstarting, once its warmed up though it will kickstart immediately.

Conclusion: I expected this around 1000 miles not 50, the valve needs to be adjusted. Appears to have all of the symptoms. Hopefully not a sign of future problems!

Edit: An interesting thing for sure, the bike definitely has a good look! Haven't driven it anywhere without someone asking me about the bike. Even had someone at a light start asking me where I got it and for how much and how much mileage it gets etc.