View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 12:48 AM   #14

Clank and grind also sounds like clutch. BUT! fresh oil in the trans is not going to quiet the clutch in any way but will quiet the gears and bearings...... for a little while. And your bike is well past break in so metal flakes in the drained transmission oil that have no good reason to be there now are beginning to confirm bad bearing/s and/or gear/s.

A couple last questions:
Did the noise appear kind of suddenly or was it something that showed up gradually even if quickly over some miles? Has it been at it's current level of noise for a while or is it getting progressively louder/worse?

I recommend you dump the CVT oil from your transmission and use something of a higher weight before going any further. CVT oil is for automotive CVTs. According to the product information sheet it has a viscosity even less than 5W-20 motor oil. Usually a gear oil of 80W-90 is used unless 30W or higher motor oil is specified. A service manual for your bike should tell what gear oil should be used. I couldn't find the info online so I don't know really what the manufacturer recommends you should be using. But I feel I can safely say you absolutely should not be using automobile CVT oil.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me