View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #5

J.B. Weld to fix an oil leak?

Okay, I originally thought the oil was leaking out of the entire back and bottom seam of the crankcase halves, but it turns out that the bottom is fine. It's seeping out of an approximately 2-inch area higher up in the back, and is slowly dripping to coat the entire bottom seam (I added an arrow to my original photo that points to the leaking area so that hopefully this makes sense). In this area, it almost looks like the halves aren't lined up right - like one side is protruding just a tiny bit outward than the other so that they are not flushed even. It took 2 years for it to start leaking, so maybe the gasket in that area finally got worn? I was thinking, instead of having to have the entire engine pulled to fix this issue, could I maybe use some of that JB Weld putty - like the SteelStick - to seal up the area where it's leaking? Or maybe plug it with some Permatex gasket maker or FlexSeal? Or a type of duct tape that could withstand high temperatures might be perfect. Any thoughts on this? It's not a bad leak. I've been leaving a drip pan under the scoot and there are only a few drops each day - whether I ride it or not.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crankcase.jpg (85.3 KB, 5 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads