Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM   #136

My helmet story. When I was 14 I had a moped. A pedal start 49cc. A bunch of us moped owners used to meet up and do death races thru neighborhoods at night, with check points and pre-mapped routes. These mopeds only hit around 35mph max but that was plenty fast. Best part? Helmets on mopeds were not required. No plates/tags either. So my helmet story:

Five of us are blasting thru this 'hood at night and go screaming into a blind turn. One friend hit a patch of pine needles and went down. I see sparks as his moped slides down the road while the rest of us are trying to avoid it. I turn back to find Stinky (his street name) and he's out cold with blood on his head. This was well before cell phones but we banged on a random door and the homeowner called the paramedics. Stinky was in the hospital for a month with brain swelling! I bought a used glitter blue open face at a yard sale the next day on the way home from school. That was our wake-up call for helmet use. And yes, Stinky made a full recovery.

Login or Register to Remove Ads