Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 06-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #1

E-start blows fuse

Recently purchased a tng venice 04. Now every time I try to use the electric start the fuse on the positive wire near the battery blows(10a). I'm trying to narrow down where the problem could be but unfortunately the wiring diagram in the manual is incomplete and at minimum doesn't show the cdi unit. The fuse only blows when the start button is held down, it will try to turn over for 4-5 second before it blows which makes me think it's a no spark situation with the e-start with the wire going to ground somewhere. Since the wiring diagram I have is inaccurate I was hoping someone could help me trace the fused lead before I pull all the panels. It has to be grounding out somewhere before it reaches the cdi is my conclusion

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-24-2014, 02:21 AM   #2

Can you kick start it?

2005 Yamaha BWS (Zuma) "Garfield"
TP Black Trophy 70cc, Giannelli Reverse Pipe, 5g Dr. Pulley Sliders, Delta Clutch with Yellow Springs and Yellow Contra, Malossi Torque Controller, Naraku R-Vent Bell, NCY Adjustable Secondary Sliding Sheave, CF Reeds, Kege Analog Tach, Dual Headlight Mod, N.A. Rear Fender Delete, OEM Short Windshield.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:38 AM   #3

Kick starts and runs fine with all lights operational

Old 06-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #4

Kick starts and runs fine with all lights operational
Old 06-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #5

I've decided it has to be either the battery to the ignition or regulator to magneto. The wiring diagram is such a pos. has live wires with no source of input and is missing things a routed incorrectly

Old 06-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroonls1z View Post
I've decided it has to be either the battery to the ignition or regulator to magneto. The wiring diagram is such a pos. has live wires with no source of input and is missing things a routed incorrectly
If it kick starts and runs fine then it's got nothing to do with the ignition system/magneto/CDI etc. It'll be something between the ignition key, starter button, starter relay, and starter itself. Have you pulled the starter motor to make sure it's not seized or binding on something? Pull it out and connect it to a battery to see if it actually turns. If it does, move on to the relay and switches etc.

TP Black Trophy 70cc, Giannelli Reverse Pipe, 5g Dr. Pulley Sliders, Delta Clutch with Yellow Springs and Yellow Contra, Malossi Torque Controller, Naraku R-Vent Bell, NCY Adjustable Secondary Sliding Sheave, CF Reeds, Kege Analog Tach, Dual Headlight Mod, N.A. Rear Fender Delete, OEM Short Windshield.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:29 AM   #7

The starter engages and the starter button is a ground and since the starter itself works it cant be the button. Has to be something between the ignition and the cdi that is grounded preventing power to the cdi. Just was not sure how everything is routed. I think it goes ignition to rectifier/regulator then to magneto then to cdi but because the wiring diagram I have is lame I have not a clue if that right
Old 07-02-2014, 01:52 AM   #8

But your problem isn't power to the CDI, it's something blowing a fuse. Does the fuse still blow if you remove the starter motor from the case and activate it with no load?

Old 07-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #9

I was under the impression the starter was not fused