Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 11-11-2013, 11:50 PM   #1

Hi Maintaining a Peace Sports 50cc

I joined this forum to shed some light about scooters and things of the like. So far I've been riding them for a year, and have owned two. My first was 2012 Tao Tao which wasn't bad. The belt broke earlier this year and sadly, I just let it sit and go to crap. I recently bought a Peace Sports 50cc scooter for $150 dollars. I'm not sure about the model or year, but its your typical run of the mill peace sports scooter. The people I bought it from said it needed a new throttle cable, but I inspected it and my diagnosis was a carb problem. I'm not a very mechanical savvy guy, I'm a newb, but I have common sense and know when something's out of my hands. I have an old friend that does nothing but work on small engines. He's an older fellow who does it as a hobby. He cleaned the carb and adjusted the valves to get the perfection compression and the scoot runs like a charm. Even in the cold, it runs fine as long as it warms up. I've drove it in below freezing temperatures and its a trooper. I assume everything is stock and derestricted, except for the cdi box. I'm 180lbs and on flat land it runs at between 40 and 45mph. 50+ downhill. And a solid 35-40 uphill. It has 6000 kms on it. Now here is my question, since its tuned and running at what I assume is its full potential at the moment, what should I do to get the most out of this beast? What's the best way to maintain it? And for you experts, what aftermarket parts would you reccomend to put on it to get it above or at 50mph? Any info would be useful, as I'm still new to scooters.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #2

Well hate to be the bearer of bad news but a Peace Sport 50cc is only capable of 30-33 mph. So wanting to reach 50mph you are better off getting a 150cc which out of the crate will do 50mph. For your 50cc to just reach 40mph will take at least a 72cc-83cc Big Bore Kit. The speedos on the scoots are way off showing 20% or more higher speed than it really is going. I know your new at this but someone has to tell you the right poop. Many will claim unrealistic numbers but ask them to prove it and they cannot so take them as a grain of salt because that is how people spend a lot of time and money and cannot reach some of the speeds some claim. Just telling It like it is BRO, I know what speeds a scoot can do by what is on there, 50s or 150s. The 250s not much you can do with those as far as performance parts so there is not to much with those most go fast enough for their size.
Lefty

Three Wheels keep me up
You’ll never be old and wise if you weren’t young and crazy
Old 11-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #3

Well dang Lol. Thanks for the heads up though man. I know the speedos are shabby on these Chinese scoots but mine is somewhat accurate. I've had my gf pace me on back roads because i drive 13 miles full throttle to get to work and my speedometer is only a few mph off. My top speed is average 40mph. Even when police put out speed traps I'm usually at 40mph when I have full momentum. Everything on it is stock, I just want a little more top end to be safer on the roads I take. I have a crap part time job, I just recently graduated and this is all I have until I can get a car or something after tax time ya know.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #4

I have heard all those and many more but I am not here to argue just stating facts. I know these things like the back of my hand but whatever. If you want more top end speed you have a couple of options, put in taller tranny gears and put in a Big Bore Kit to pull the taller gears. But here again it will cost you some bucks.

To get the 50s to get more speed requires MOTOR MODS and Tranny and CVT mods so SPEED cost money.

Go look up the specs on it and see what the specs say the top speed is and just so you know sompe of the ropes most dealers change the max speed to higher numbers to make them more appealing. They are pretty clever they know young pups all they want is speed so the fudge them a little..LOL
Lefty

Three Wheels keep me up
Old 11-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #5

Alright well thanks for the info any knowledge is helpful. A 50 isn't a speed demon like I wish it could be lol. I appreciate the response. I'm probably just going to trade mine and some cash for a 150 and go from there. Being stock and reliable, I'm happy with that. It gets me to work and doesn't have quirks like most Chinese scoots have.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #6

Good and smart
decision, sell your 50 and get a 150cc so you can keep up with traffic. Even if you get the 50 go into the 40s it will be always running at Wide Open Throttle and with very high RPMS and high Rpms are what destroys motors so it won't last.
Lefty

Three Wheels keep me up
Old 11-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #7

tao tao 50cc

I have a tao tao 50cc duster. it will do 50 on a straight stretch of road. I ride it everyday and it is stock. it will do 30-35 uphill. I have owned 4 od these scooters and this others were slow but this one will do a good speed. i checked the speed with my gps . this is the fastest 50 cc i have had.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #8

A 50cc 139QMB 4 stroke motor doing 50mph and STOCK to boot WOW!! keeping up with the 150cc's scooters I see.
Lefty

Three Wheels keep me up
Old 11-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcalebro View Post
I have a tao tao 50cc duster. it will do 50 on a straight stretch of road. I ride it everyday and it is stock. it will do 30-35 uphill. I have owned 4 od these scooters and this others were slow but this one will do a good speed. i checked the speed with my gps . this is the fastest 50 cc i have had.
Hi
Most likely its a secret 63, meaning it has a 63 cc engine
Some taos have them
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank
Old 11-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #10

Hi

Hi
^
http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=52763
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank