Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 12-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #1

Tail light, horn, fuel gauge, blinkers not working after battery removal

Over the weekend, I removed my battery from my 50cc Chinese scoot in order to attach it to the trickle charger. I replaced the battery, but in the process was distracted - I walked away a couple times - and now my rear/brake light, turn signals, fuel gauge and horn are now not working. I don't *think* I attached anything incorrectly the first time, but I tooke the battery out, reinstalled, chedked to be sure the battery cables are correctly attached, and that the fuse is good. Still not lights horn or fuel gauge. The bike starts up with no problem.

Is it possible that I switched the pos/neg cables and blew something (regulator, relay, etc)? Usually I can at least hear a "clicking" from the flasher relay, but I hear nothing. I've traced the wires, checked the fuse, can't find any problem. Electrical & wiring is just not my forte.

Any suggestions are welcome, I've checked everything that I've found in other threads. Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #2

It is also possible that the wires or a connector broke also try installing a new fuse. It's not unheard of that a fuse may look good but in reality is still open, especially with cheapy Chinese OEM fuses.

Another likely scenario is a poor ground. Trace the negative to where it connects to the chassis and remove and clean the connection, sometimes at the factory these are painted over. The ground contact should contact bare metal.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #3

that happened to me.the fuse looked good and drove me crazy.i replaced it and every thing was good to go.

Login or Register to Remove Ads