Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 06-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #1

Traffic controlled stop lights..

Relatively new to scooting, so I am not sure whether I am guessing correctly or not, but here goes.
I often come upon those traffic lights which are controlled by a car parking where a sensor changes the signal from red to green. I may be wrong, but I think some of those don't trip for scooters. I have waited long for some and even gave up on some, and just turned around and took a different route. Have you ever had trouble tripping the signals with your scoot?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-05-2017, 06:16 PM   #2

Sometimes , yes. But check the laws in your state regarding traffic lights like that. You might be able to go after the light cycles a certain number of times and making sure the way is clear and safe to proceed.

I wouldn't bother with the magnets that some may try to sell you. What is required is enough ferrous metal to be close enough to trigger the sensors in the road. Sometimes you can see by cut marks in the pavement... try getting you scoot right over one of those lines. Very often that may be just the thing to get it to trigger... Alas, sometimes not. What ever you decide to do, be careful, be safe.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
Old 06-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #3

Hey, thanks..I didn't know how they were triggered. I looked for some kind of sensor on the posts around the corner but couldn't see anything. I guess I will have to watch for some marks in the road.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:17 PM   #4

They are triggered by a system called a Henry Loop. Steel disrupts the constant looping and tells the light to change. I have had decent luck with a stop light trigger magnet, but in VA we are allowed to run it if it does not change AND if its safe after 2 cycles? My Adly has steel wheels so it trips them and my Burgmans low enough so it trips them to. I have heard that electric current can trip lights also. Thats why you see some bikes flash their high beams at a light while waiting all by themselves.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:46 AM   #5

I take it the sensitive device is located in the center of the lane, so it would be easy to miss completely with a scooter. Anyway, lots of ideas for me to try. Thanks !

Old 06-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #6

Be in the know on this! If this is a light that you regularly encounter you can call the city traffic engineers and ask to have the sensitivity adjusted so it picks up your scooter. I have only asked to have one light adjusted and they were on it within 2 days and it worked every time, then I moved!
Old 06-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #7

I can see the cut in the road where they installed the loop but I don't know if it matters if a scooter or cycle should try to come to rest over the wire, just on the inside of it or in the middle. I wait a bit and if the scooter doesn't trigger the light in a couple of cycles I check the traffic and just go, depending on where I'm headed I might move over a lane and go straight and try my luck at the next corner. I've noticed though so far it doesn't seem to be the problem it was 25 years ago.