Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 06-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #1

New to me Scoot

I decided that I had enough fun with my TaoTao, Lancer 150, and upgraded to a Suzuki, Burgman 400.
I've had the Lancer for 2 years now and gained a lot of knowledge and experience from it. It was my re-introduction to riding after having sold my Honda, Shadow years before. I enjoy riding and was feeling somewhat restricted on the 150, and also a little leary about the dependability.
I did some research on the different Maxi-Scoots and started looking for a Suzuki. I found a couple on Craigslist, but one close by, was a 2009 with less than 2K miles on it.
After buying/registering it, I've changed all the fluids and cleaned it up. I haven't gotten into the clutch or variator yet; I was a little intimidated when it was apart. After watching some Youtube videos, I see it's essentially the same, just much bigger than I'm used to. I enjoy the fact that I can take it out on the Parkway (Garden State); it will cruise, with ease, at 75-80 MPH.
Sadly, I sold the TaoTao the other night ... I had some mixed emotions over that. It went to a good home, though ... a young man and his GF, wanted his & hers scooters. Earlier in the day she bought hers and he seemed quite happy with mine.

You may have seen the Lancer here ...
https://i.imgsafe.org/56d3f961b3.jpg
https://i.imgsafe.org/56d3dae3f0.jpg

... and this is the new one.
https://i.imgsafe.org/21877f2cb6.jpg
https://i.imgsafe.org/218763b068.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #2

After another week on the Burgman, I don't think you will miss the Tao Tao near as much. Time for somebody else to learn the ropes on that 150.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:41 AM   #3

Congrats on your new purchase. You are right, a 150cc isn't always the right tool for the job. I can also understand your mixed emotions....I would miss my scoot something awful, if it was gone, and I have 3 other, much more capable bikes. I'm into my 6th season with the Jonway, have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours riding it, and still totally enjoy the little bugger.

Larger, faster, more powerful, can be exciting.......but i don't know if I could give up my 8 hp wonder.

Enjoy your new Burgman.....ride safely.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #4

I think that you will enjoy the increase in power , etc. Good Luck! Irish
Old 06-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #5

Welcome to maxi-scooters. I had a Burgman 400, it was a good scooter. I wouldn't say it would cruise at 80. At 80, it was REALLY breathing hard and fuel economy goes way down. Cruising at 65-70 is more like it. I went to a Honda Silverwing after that, and it would cruise at 80.

The Burgman was lighter and with a lower center of gravity than the Silverwing though.

Now that I'm back to a 150, (I went the other way) I like the nimbleness of it, compared to the maxi-scooters.

When my kids are grown, I'll probably supplement the PCX 150 with a liter class sport-touring bike again for those longer rides. Nothing beats a motorcycle on the higher speed rides and over potholes. I miss my FJR1300 sometimes.