Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 07-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #1

Life going full circle....

So when I quit riding motorcycles I treated myself to a new 2001 Yamaha Zuma. Modded it to the hilt and had tons of fun with it. Then, took money and a stock motor for a trade on my modded motor and kept it as a stock back-up scooter. Loaned it out and it got stolen (lesson learned). Anyways, I have been thru many scooters and a few motorcycles since then but was always on the lookout for a nice sub-2001 Zuma, a pre-bug to those who dont know. A friend from my old car days calls me out of the blue to tell me he had a scooter for sale. Turned out to be a 1998 Yamaha Zuma for $400! You bet it followed me home! Needs a fuel system overhaul, new tires, battery and very minor tune-up. It's MINT, no cracks on the panels, seat is flawless, lived indoors, never abused, and no signs on being dropped. What makes it even better is I got a extra NEW Tecnigas Silent street exhaust, factory service manual AND the title! Prior owner bought it at a kidney foundation auction with 1730 miles on it, now has 2250! Its black with purple/yellow graphics. So I guess Im running a Zuma rescue foundation now!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-29-2017, 05:55 PM   #2

I don't suppose you'd loan it to me... just for a few days?
Old 07-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #3

LOL! This one is not getting stolen! I do need to find a U-lock that fits the spread of the wheel holes (has a security hoop on the frame also). I may work on it today and see if I can get it running......

Old 07-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #4

Very sorry to hear that your scoot was swiped. I understand that it is illegal to lock your scooter or bicycle to a public structure in VA like a lamp pole or sign post. I lock my scoot to the bicycle rack when I ride to the store.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:52 PM   #5

Question

My S-I-L , who said that he'd never ride again , called me from N.H. last night & said that he was buying a used Harley. Now both of my S-I-Ls ,my Granddaughter & my cousin all are riding. The family that rides together , stays together! Irish

Old 08-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Very sorry to hear that your scoot was swiped. I understand that it is illegal to lock your scooter or bicycle to a public structure in VA like a lamp pole or sign post. I lock my scoot to the bicycle rack when I ride to the store.
I bet that the Cops don't even know that it's illegal. I asked a Cop(in a Wal*Mart lot ) about eye protection (mandatory in Fla.) & he said-I don't know!- Ill have to check at the office. That was a few mos. ago but it was a simple question! Irish
Old 08-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #7

Here all you need is a moped tag, thats it. No insurance or any kind of endorsement, and just be over 16? years old I think. The reason for tagging them is: 1) If you have a suspended drivers license the police can get you for operating a motor vehicle (tagged moped) now. 2) Dont run that red light with the camera! Now they know who to send the ticket to. 3) No more going bar hopping on the mopeds. Yes, I know it was dumb but it was better than taking the car! 4) Before the tag requirement mopeds were like bearer bonds. No one had actual proof that they did own their moped. 5) If you get busted going over 35mph you could get nailed for operating a "motorcycle" without a M class on your license, having no insurance on said "motorcycle" and no state inspection. I have only met one person who got the book thrown at them for going over 35mph and judging by their attitude I think I know why. I have been stopped a few times for "speeding" on a moped but have always gotten warnings.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #8

Its ALIVE! Heres what I learned while getting this pre-bug running.The tires are OLD and NASTY but they hold air. New tires on order but I can run it for tuning as is. Headlight loom zapped me pretty good! It got smashed or was rubbing on something. Gonna patch the damaged area. Someone before me used a 3 point phillips screw driver on all the phillips head screws. Vice grips are my friend right now. So far I have $48 into it from buying a silly hard to find battery. Still excited for my Zuma rescue purchase.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
LOL! This one is not getting stolen! I do need to find a U-lock that fits the spread of the wheel holes (has a security hoop on the frame also). I may work on it today and see if I can get it running......
When in NH , I used a rubber-coated chain but I can't remember where I got it! Irish