Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 03-06-2017, 05:58 AM   #1

To Buy or not to Buy?

A fellow I know has a couple of old scooters one is a 150cc Sunl the other a 50cc. They looked complete. No current registration or title. 100 bucks buys them both. Now I'm wondering if I should bother getting them and if I do what I'd do with them? The cost of getting them legal for the street is prohibitive so they would be for parts or off road or something. Same old story they were both running when someone parked them. Can these engines be re-purposed for something like to drive a generator? Of course they can, but is it practical? So, should I get those scooters. Money isn't the problem but taking up space in the garage.... that might be a problem.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #2

No titles? Not running?

They would have to pay me $100, to haul them away. But maybe that's because I have enough stuff to keep me as busy, as I want to be, already. Besides, brand new scooter parts are dirt cheap, I don't need old, used, (unreliable?) parts lying around.

That's just the way I see it.....I'm sure others feel differently.....and that's what makes the world go around.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #3

The way that I always looked at things were on the resale value. I used to buy used motorcycles & make one good one for resale! I know that time is money but my last venture was $25 for bike , one main bearing , one wrist pin , paint. Sold for $18.00 tax free $. It all depends on the turnaround! Irish
P.S. I forgot .010 overbore & new pistons & rings! Still a good profit! Having a dealer friend with an attic full of old parts helped. I don't have that in Florida.
P.P.S. I meant $18.000.

Last edited by Irish; 04-03-2017 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Add PPS.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #4

The "not running-no title" scoots should only be purchased by somebody with great mechanical skills and experience in registering untitled vehicles. Otherwise, buy something that is running and registered so you can enjoy it.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:47 PM   #5

Great mechanical skills ? I can take most anything apart. Thus far I haven't gone to get them. Actually I don't need any more scooters... I don't need the one I have but I like messing with them. No way it would ever pay out to tag and title those two. It's just something to do that I like, messing with small engines and getting them to run again. I just took a chainsaw motor apart to get to the coil and now there's a really cobbled up mess of engineering/rough finish metal parts/plastic with mostly allen screws and torx screws of various sizes holding it all together. It's a neighbor's and he can decide if it is worth the 20 bucks for a new coil.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
Great mechanical skills ? I can take most anything apart. Thus far I haven't gone to get them. Actually I don't need any more scooters... I don't need the one I have but I like messing with them. No way it would ever pay out to tag and title those two. It's just something to do that I like, messing with small engines and getting them to run again. I just took a chainsaw motor apart to get to the coil and now there's a really cobbled up mess of engineering/rough finish metal parts/plastic with mostly allen screws and torx screws of various sizes holding it all together. It's a neighbor's and he can decide if it is worth the 20 bucks for a new coil.
Roscoe----Everyone that I know can take most anything apart! It's putting them back together correctly that takes skill. Irish