Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > The Dawg Pound

Old 04-09-2019, 05:51 PM   #1

Harley Davidson stigma

So I need a new pair of gloves for this season. The only motorcycle store near where I live is a Harley Davidson dealership. Now I have nothing against HD , in fact I regard it as a great old American brand, but I just can't see myself owning one.
Anyway everything in that store has a Harley logo on it, and I mean everything! I couldn't bring myself to even try on the gloves because of that obnoxious logo emblazoned on them. They seemed to be decent quality and the price wasn't outrageous. I just couldn't do it....
I guess I have a irrational prejudice which I really can't explain. Anyone have the same issue or am I crazy?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #2

Gloves are one of those things I will not order on-line. I must try them on first.
If a Harley shop was all I had nearby, I'd buy gloves there. You can always cover the logo with something if you don't dig the big domestic cruisers.
-These days, pretty much everything has some stigma attached. Its the way of the world.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:31 PM   #3

Depends how big and obvious the logo is. I had a Harley leather jacket awhile back. Great quality, looked nice and fit awesome. Small logo to. Got it at a second time around type shop for a fair price. A friend ended up getting a Harley and he always made comments how nice the jacket looked, so when I replaced it with a Corazzo jacket I passed the Harley jacket onto him. He still has the jacket but sold the Harley when his wife had a baby. Oh, and I was riding a Vespa P200E when I had the Harley jacket!

Old 04-13-2019, 11:37 PM   #4

over here you rarely see a harley, so when i spot one it's awesome.

(idk the harley logo classed as something cool here and that's it)

ride with what you like though in my opinon (aslong as safe), others opinions later
Old 04-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #5

Sometimes you don't have a practical choice if you want to ride. HD is not my choice. But the closest dealer of my choice is many miles away & not being from Fla , I don't know who to trust for parts. I now have a 2006 HD Sportster 1200 with a DMC Trike kit. Not my choice but a good bike. Irish

Last edited by Irish; 04-15-2019 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Addition!
Old 04-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #6

If the branding was small and I could either remove it (sewn-on rubber patch) or color it with a permanent marker to make it less obvious, I might settle for Harley gear.

Otherwise, I'm with Irish. I just don't like the image that goes along with H-D. I like to joke: "Harley-Davidson is a clothing company, but did you know they also make motorcycles!?"
Old 04-26-2019, 07:28 PM   #7

I actually did find a pair of gloves that I love. I was amazed at how many pair I tried on before finding something that fit and had the features I wanted. They are BMW motorad gloves. They were very pricey but I'm sure they will last many years. I don't h ave a problem with the BMW logo . I own one of there cars and it is quite nice.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #8

There ya go. I don't mind the BMW Logo either.....own two 1200cc motorcycles, and one car branded with it.

But....when I need a pair of gloves, I go to Tractor Supply, Walmart, or someplace like that.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #9

The last pair that I got was at Harbor Freight! They have a fairly good selection. The hardest part is going thru them all. Irish.
P.S. An ashtray costs $7. If it has an HD logo on it , the same ashtray , costs (at least) $15-20!
Old 05-15-2019, 12:06 AM   #10

Kinda funny how people do that. I have a friend that his wife won’t let him get a harley because she’s afraid of what people at their church will think. Funny part about that is the pastor at the same church rides a harley. Not wearing a particular brand and not knowing why doesn’t really make sense to me. That being said I don’t buy harley clothing either even though it usually is well made as long as it’s authentic
Old 05-21-2019, 11:29 AM   #11

I swear by the mechanixwear from walmart. They are great riding gloves. Otherwise I like the Icon 29ers. Every Harley guy I talk to says HD stands for "Hundred Dollars" because any work on a Harley will cost at least $100