Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Old 10-02-2019, 02:56 PM   #1

Long time motorcyclist now enjoying scoots

Though I love big bore enduro and dual sport bikes, and having ridden motorcycles since I was a kid, I have a growing fondness for scooters, and people who ride and modify them.

That said, I am also the Regional Coordinator for the American Motorcyclist Association in Maine, and really want to get familiar with other enthusiasts who have more knowledge and skill with scooters than me. This is a great forum to do that!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-03-2019, 12:47 AM   #2

Welcome! There are 2 different types of scooter riders. The cheap transportation/waiting for a car riders and the ones who actually like/prefer them. I've owned several sports bikes in the past but always had a Honda Helix. Then, I went full on scooters after getting in trouble on the rocket bike. I have a Piaggio Liberty 150 now as my main transport. Wife has a Honda Silverwing with a MotorTrike conversion. I have multiple bike safety courses under my belt and was invited to the police training course but passed on the offer. I find myself riding less and less and have been looking at a small sports car. I'm getting older (48) and starting to hate the heat, cold and rain. But I will keep the Liberty till it dies. Then I'll pick up a 50cc 2 stroke like a Genuine RH50 to bump around on. I also have a electric bicycle obsession.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
Then I'll pick up a 50cc 2 stroke like a Genuine RH50 to bump around on. I also have a electric bicycle obsession.
I had a Yamaha LC 50 Champ some years back and loved it for bumping around town and light trail riding, since then I’ve tinkered with a number of scooters with the 4 stroke GY6 49cc engines and found them reliable, easy and cheap to work on, the majority of my motorcycling is off road and dual sport, so I think the Chinese scooters are an interesting platform to do some dual sport things with.

I’m a bit older and still like the occasional ride through mud, rain, etc but not like years ago. Much like you, I’d like to get my hands on a 49cc two stroke though I’m thinking an old Yamaha DT50.

Regardless, thank you.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:32 AM   #4

I got myself an old 150cc Chinese made scooter for a birthday present to myself 3 years ago. Kind of a time machine for me going back to the mid 1960s when I had a Honda 150. I got the bugs worked out of the scooter and it's been dependable transportation. I enjoyed riding it almost everyday this summer. I'm 71 now and it's just the thing to have when the weather permits. I also ride a bike for the exercise and scooters may be dangerous but believe me riding a bike on city streets is much more dangerous than a scooter.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #5

I have a pair of Japanese bikes and a Chinese scooter in the garage. They all have a special place in my head.

With all my years as a Charter Life Member I'm a 50 year AMA member.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.