Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 10-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #1

Lance Cabo 50 electrical issues plus no spark

Hello scooterpeeps, I've got an issue to run by you guys. Ive got a lance Cabo 50 (4stroke) that has a handful of possibly related issues. Between last year and this season, I moved and lost the keys to the ignition so took to a locksmith and they made a new set for existing ignition. Here come the issues. As soon as the battery is hooked up, the scooter has power. Lights, dash, even starter will crank with or without key in ignition, and ignition turned on or off. Simultaneously, I've got a no spark condition. Using a properly running donor scooter, I replaced the plug, ignition coil and wire, and the cdi. Still no spark. I took the stator out and this is where things get confusing for me... it has one wire for the pickup, and only two (white, and yellow) coming from the stator. There is no groumd wire to stator, so I think its called floating ground? I tested all three wires for resistance and all fine. I also tested ground to motor, frame, etc and seems OK. I was going to simply replace the stator and see if it solves the issue, but I believe the ignition always on issue is related. Could a bad ground connection or a grounded wire cause the ignition to stay on? If I have a bad ground anywhere, or a killswitch improperly functioning, I would assume that I would not get power to the starter, but I do... are there any scenarios that allow power to the scooter but would cause no spark?
Thanks in advance for your help... I've got 3 other scooter projects right now and you will be hearing more questions.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-23-2019, 08:59 AM   #2

There is a trigger coil, to tell the CDI when to "fire" and the exciter coil which has only two wires and it energizes the CDI. I suspect your ignition switch is grounding the CDI. Chase the kill wire down and make sure it isn't grounded when you are trying to start/run. Here ya go, get ur multimeter and diagnose, test points will be voltages at the trigger coil, the exciter coil, and coil. It's actually a pretty simple system https://www.buggydepot.com/tech-cent...uide-no-spark/ Let us know what you find
Old 06-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #3

Okay, I know its been awhile... but here we are. The ignition switch is fine, I had forgot a jumper wire I had setup. Once setup properly, ignition switch works as expected. Since then, i replaced the stator and pickup. No change. I tested all types of things from all types of videos. Everything seems to test fine. Ultimately, my cdi is getting power from the ignition switch as it should, and I can get some readings from pickup coil when cranking. Whether I have the seat compartment switch attached or not or have it turned on or off or not, I get power to the starter. The killswitch on right handle can be on or off, and still gets power to starter. For anyone who doesn't know, this DC cdi is powered from the ignition directly from the battery, and there is no killswitch pin on the cdi, the killswitch 'grounds out' the coil or cdi to dissallow spark. 'Grounding out' a circuit is something I don't fully understand. So at this point I convinced myself that it must be the RH switch. Ordered one and installed. Still no spark. To date, I have replaced the plug, coil, stator, pickup, ignition, cdi, and killswitch.
I'm losing my mind over this. At this point, I believe it must be either the seatcompartment killswitch, or a bad wire. Additionly, the right blinkers don't work. I had read somewhere that someone had a DC motorcycle that wouldn't start because the headlight bulb was bad. I'm running out of ideas.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-02-2020, 02:52 PM   #4

it seems like ur key isnt turning all the way allowing bike to start try disconnecting the kill wire from coil and crank engine do you have spark? the coil ground is activated when you bolt the coil down on that bike

Tags
cabo 50, ignition switch, no spark