Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 05-15-2021, 02:20 PM   #1

need just a tad more power

Just got a Wolf rx50 scooter. While it runs good enough on straights it needs more power going up the hills. Some hills I go 15 or slower.
So, I was thinking about doing a 80cc cylinder upgrade. I'm hoping that will be enough.

Also, is getting another carb worth it or rejet the old one. If I just changed jets in the old one would there be any reason to get a new carb.

Also, I've heard these bikes run lean from the factory so even if I don't do any modes to the bike I still should have it rejetted . Should be a real cheap improvement ....

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #2

CDI Box

Have you tried a new CDI box? I got the blue one in two of my 50cc's and it makes a world of difference. I've heard of some people having bad experiences with misfires, but I suspect that their spark plug was loose, but beware that there are those who have blown their carb. I blew a carb when I put my most recent upgraded one in, but that was my fault for not tightening down the spark plug. In any event, that is a really quick fix for like ten dollars on Amazon--a little more for the performance ignition coil and performance spark plug, not sure if they are really worth it or not. But definitely the CDI box--blue or orange.

Also, look into removing the restrictor collar from your CVT. I haven't gotten that far yet because I am waiting for the tool to come in, but I will let you know how that worked for me.

Performance air intake and exhaust that lets more air flow through is always an added bonus, but with only the CDI box and a carb adjustment, my X-Pro Maui 50cc goes between 32 and 40 mph on flat ground, and I've hit 52 mph with a modest incline, faster on steep hills.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:06 AM   #3

50cc to 83.1 makes a huge difference. That's an increase of over 50% in displacement. I've done it and it was worth it. Yes, larger jet, yes, free flow air cleaner but make sure it's a real air cleaner, yes to de-restricting the exhaust. My problem was the little scooter became what I consider unsafe because it had such sorry suspension, I also bent the front rim hitting a pot hole after dark. I've pretty much parked it and use the 150cc scooter for rides now days.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-22-2021, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Fuckin_Erikson View Post
Have you tried a new CDI box? I got the blue one in two of my 50cc's and it makes a world of difference. I've heard of some people having bad experiences with misfires, but I suspect that their spark plug was loose, but beware that there are those who have blown their carb.
Also, look into removing the restrictor collar from your CVT. I haven't gotten that far yet because I am waiting for the tool to come in, but I will let you know how that worked for me.

Performance air intake and exhaust that lets more air flow through is always an added bonus, but with only the CDI box and a carb adjustment, my X-Pro Maui 50cc goes between 32 and 40 mph on flat ground, and I've hit 52 mph with a modest incline, faster on steep hills.
I've seen the cdi's on sale that have the rev limiter wire already removed. Not sure how much that would help but it would be nice to be able to swap them if I have issues.

My scooter already runs 40-45 on level ground so not sure if it has a collar in

But I think my best bet would be to start with the 50cc-80cc upgrade