Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 04-21-2017, 08:11 PM   #1

derestricting results ?

As I mentioned in another post, I have just purchased a new Genuine roughhouse 50 scooter. I have taken it from 2 miles on the odometer to 35 miles. I like everything about it but would like a bit better performance on the hills. I plan on derestricting it when it nears the end of the break-in miles.
Will derestricting help in the hill climbing ability? I am about 200 lbs.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #2

Yup.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #3

Thanks Wheelbender...that sounds encouraging..

Old 04-23-2017, 08:15 AM   #4

My understanding is that dealers usually derestrict before sale. Check with your dealer about that. I'm also 200lbs and got a used Piaggio Typhoon 50 4 cylinder from a dealer that also sells Genuine and mine was derestricted before original sale. Mine is also a 4 cylinder and does fine up hills. I would think a 2 cylinder like yours would have more power up hills. If not, maybe get different rollers, but it would seem that a local dealer in rural NY State would have some answers.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #5

Derestricting the cvt will allow you to start your hill climb at a higher speed, so climbing performance will definitely improve.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:16 AM   #6

Oldgunner....a few weeks ago you were posting about your 125cc Buddy. Why are you messing around, trying to get more speed out of a 50cc? If you are running a bit late, take the Buddy, If you have plenty of time, jump on "peewee", and enjoy the scenery.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #7

PeeWee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Oldgunner....a few weeks ago you were posting about your 125cc Buddy. Why are you messing around, trying to get more speed out of a 50cc? If you are running a bit late, take the Buddy, If you have plenty of time, jump on "peewee", and enjoy the scenery.
I agree plus it is only a matter of time before the cops start cracking down on 50cc scoots when they notice them doing 45 MPH on city streets. Still; hills are a pain especially when you get down to 20 MPH.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #8

You can only do so much with 50cc's you'll have to raise the rpm's and maybe change gear ratios or increase the CC's, turbo charger or super charger? .... or lose 50 lbs? F= ma ya gotta have the Force to accelerate (or climb hills and run against the wind). I've been thinking a big bore kit for my 50cc is probably the way to go if I decide to keep it. I could stand to lose 50lbs but I doubt that happens.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
It's a long story, but here goes. I applied for and took my motorcycle class, but missed the test which comes on line. I passed the school class and got a card saying so, but still owed them the E-test, so tried to take the on line test then and they started playing games..so finally I agreed that I would simply take a written test of 168 questions, then pick up my waiver. Well, a couple days later they call back and claim they virtually want the school over again.
At that point my wife was gravely ill in the hospital in Olean, so I told them I didn't need any more hoops to jump through..
Anyhow, the RH really does what I want it to do..except for hill climbing.
If I decide by then that I want something bigger, my learner permit runs until September, so I will just take the DMV road test at that time..
Old 04-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #10

a big bore kit, to 80cc might work for you. From what I've read the scooter ought to be dependable at 80cc if you also get a good Kevlar belt also. A stock 50cc is only a little over 3 horsepower, extrapolating (and it doesn't really work this way, but) you might get 4.8 hp with everything tuned just right. The added torque though might get you up that hill which is what you want.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #11

My dealer was booked up at the time I took delivery, but I can take it back at earliest convenience. I don't mind,. because I want to go through the break in cycle first anyway.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #12

In the meantime my wife passed away (May 21). I have been riding the scooter on country/back roads often..it is cathartic..
So I have about 950 miles on the Roughhouse, and am headed to my dealer for derestriction next Thursday.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrider View Post
My understanding is that dealers usually derestrict before sale. Check with your dealer about that. I'm also 200lbs and got a used Piaggio Typhoon 50 4 cylinder from a dealer that also sells Genuine and mine was derestricted before original sale. Mine is also a 4 cylinder and does fine up hills. I would think a 2 cylinder like yours would have more power up hills. If not, maybe get different rollers, but it would seem that a local dealer in rural NY State would have some answers.
I live in a county which calls itself is called "The enchanted Mountains". If I were to compare my area with your beautiful state of Virginia, I would say I am much closer in aspect to the Blue Ridge than coastal plain of VA. So, there are hills and there are hills.
Really, the Roughhouse doesn't truly bog down until after nearing a longer climb...and sharper angle. My dealer isn't in NY State, but Pennsylvania, and perhaps having more hilly areas than I.
BTW: Guess I will call my scooter "Ruffy".