Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 04-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #1

Start button short

Hello. I've got a problem with my starter button shorting the electrical system. It's starts up fine when cold but clicks once and then shuts everything off when warm. I know my scoot pretty well (for a newb) and have been upgrading all the basics for a couple of years. 2015 Tao Tao 150cc kickstarts, idles and accelerates perfectly. All lights, wires, grounds, fuses, battery, and harnesses are in good working order. Starter and relay have been replaced and CDI, coil and plug are upgrades. Brakes and signals are fine. The starter button assembly has been inspected and it's housing is very clean. This scoot has never been wet. The only pre existing condition is an unresponsive tach which wasn't working long before the current issue and I've learned to live without it as wiring diagrams are not my strong suit. Thank you for any assistance.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #2

Just a shot in the dark here ( I'm a newb as well) starter relay , fuses , stator pickup line not charging the battery well enough. The click you hear is because the starter isn't getting enough power. Check the gauge of wire being used on the starter might not be adequate. Also be sure to run a battery tender to make sure the battery has a good charge.

Tach usually get the rpms from the sparkplug one way or another but it might just be bad cluster you could get a cheap tach for addressing certain issues buts if you can live without it then its not needed.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #3

Starts strong every time I let the engine cool down. I can replace the starter wire with an upgrade but I'm doubtful. Getting 13 volts from lithium battery after lots of use. Still can't figure why the lights and instrument panel shut down after attempting warm start. I've touched a lot of the wires afterward and none are hot.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #4

It only happens after it been running awhile could be a short or loose fuse but it sounds like after a certain time the amp draw becomes to much to sustain..... Makes me now believe you have a weak ground because its fine on cold starts but after awhile its too much. Look on the frame body for the ground make sure its bare metal sand it down some if not. You could run a second ground if necessary sometimes the ground isn't thick enough gauge like if you have audio , LED lights alarm etc..
Old 04-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #5

This was good advice. Thanks. The contacts were pretty clean but I sanded them down a little just be sure. Ran a second ground because the original is pretty thin. Unfortunately, I got the same result.

If I jump the fully charged battery with a little portable power pack "Genius Boost GB40" - it will start right up whether hot or cold. So I have three ways to start up 1) start button when cold 2) kickstart 3) jump with power pack.

There must be a problem with some wiring that I can't see or get to.