Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 06-06-2017, 09:12 AM   #1

Still no spark

gy6 150....All wiring seems to check out...also replaced stator....coil.......grounds seem good....driving me crazy...any suggestions are appreciated!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #2

Sounds like something simple. Is your fuse O.K.? Irish
Old 06-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Sounds like something simple. Is your fuse O.K.? Irish
Which fuse...the one with battery is good...only other fuse I know of is up under steering panel.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #4

Coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexo6 View Post
gy6 150....All wiring seems to check out...also replaced stator....coil.......grounds seem good....driving me crazy...any suggestions are appreciated!
I do not think this helps as you had the problem prior to changing the coil but I had that problem recently. I had no hair to pull out but would have. Finally I found the fault. The coil lead to the spark plug had a tiny screw in thingy which had come unscrewed. Once I saw that and screwed it back in the problem was solved.

Also, try a new plug. Further, check to see of there is power at the coil input when you crank it. If no power at the coil input then back track by checking the CDI lead which supplys the coil (blk/yellow) if no voltage there then go further back to the alternator output (blk/red) . It would help if you had the electrical schematic. It will be frustrating at first but after tracking this down you will be much more knowledgeable about your scoots electrical system.

You may find a schematic by searching on your computer browser. Give up the make, model, and year of your gy6 and we will look. Below is a generic one. .

Last edited by Ozo; 06-07-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #5

Here is what I got with stator in scooter....
pick-up wire 146 ohms....cranking it getting about 2.4-2.5 vac
red/black wire 0 ohms...but cranking it getting about 56 vac
battery is starting to go down a bit....the 0 ohms I don't get with it producing 56vac?????

Old 06-10-2017, 08:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexo6 View Post
Here is what I got with stator in scooter....
pick-up wire 146 ohms....cranking it getting about 2.4-2.5 vac
red/black wire 0 ohms...but cranking it getting about 56 vac
battery is starting to go down a bit....the 0 ohms I don't get with it producing 56vac?????
Disconnect the blk/yellow wire from the coil and see if you get a voltage reading on it when cranking. Put the multimeter pos lead on the wire and neg to ground. Make sure all the ground wires are actually connected to ground. If no voltage then the cdi is probably bad or is not connected properly.
Your alternator is obviously ok.
Did you ensure that you have continuity from coil to plug. That little screw in thing I mentioned if unscrewed will give you an open circuit (no continuity).
Old 06-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #7

Check the brake light circuit for the ground. The brake handle/light circuit may have a bad connection stopping it from letting it start. Like a neutral safety switch. Does it have a center stand or kick stand switch also? Those will work with the brake switch as well to stop it from starting.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Old 06-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heedehcheenuh View Post
Check the brake light circuit for the ground. The brake handle/light circuit may have a bad connection stopping it from letting it start. Like a neutral safety switch. Does it have a center stand or kick stand switch also? Those will work with the brake switch as well to stop it from starting.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
I had to put new switch for back brake....both brake handles light the brake light....no center stand or kickstand switch.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #9

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post links but if we are, try following this... https://www.buggydepot.com/tech-cent...uide-no-spark/ it has the voltages needed at test points on the ignition system, multimeter set on AC
  1. There should be between 20vAC ~ 100vAC coming from the CDI power wire (Black/Red), although much lower voltages will still be able to produce spark.
  2. There should be at least 0.05vAC coming from the trigger wire (Blue/Yellow).
  3. CDI output at least 18 Volts AC
  4. if the link posted I'm just repeating what they had...
Old 06-15-2017, 09:18 PM   #10

any way to disconnect ignition switch to rule that out?