Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 04-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post
i checked the air filter, its pretty clean
You need to try the starting fluid. Behind the filter is a hole. Spray a little starting fluid into that and start your scooter.

Here is a youtube video on how to use starting fluid (fast forward to 3:48 in the video):

Even works for a 4-stroke lawnmower engine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starting Fluid.jpg (44.3 KB, 2 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by antchainscoot; 04-25-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #17

also check your throttle cable at the carb end. It can work loose. make sure the throttle screw hasn't backed out so that it no longer holds the carb at the run position. and don't give up. This is how we all learn...
Old 04-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #18
Banned

decided to try and turn it on but its still the same, it did stay on but in a weak state for about 4 seconds but then it dies with some huffing and puffing in the end, this will be my last try, im off from work on Monday so i will be bringing it to a actual motorcycle mechanic shop, fingers crossed and hopefully they dont wont change me an arm and a leg to fix it, not only that but will have to waste money on a tow truck also i will update this thread once i know the diagnostic from the mechanic, stay tuned.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #19
Banned

hi guys

i tried the starter fluid but to no avail, ohh well at least i tried...here is a video for your entertainment

Old 04-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #20

Did you check your air tire pressure? Cause sometimes that throws off the 1.21 gigawatts needed to power your flux capacitor. or do like they do in Africa rub the engine with Cheetah-blood.

I hope you fix your problem soon. I will pray to baby jesus that the problem will be fixed with minor cost. Take care fellow scoot buddy

Old 04-28-2014, 12:45 AM   #21

Adjust your valves! It's easy to do, and it's usually what causes problems with these scooters after they have been run for a while. Don't waste your money on a tow and mechanic until after you do the valve adjustment. (But I bet that will solve the problem.)
Old 04-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #22
Banned

Update:: ok i left the scoot at the mechanic shop, they said they will check it, its a real motorcycle shop so they what they are doing, found a cheaper option than a tow truck. I rented a pick up from Uhaul, lets see what happens...stay tuned folks, in the mean time, i saw my favorite motorcycle there, i did a small video, i think im addicted to making videos, lol

Old 04-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #23

1) make sure throttle is adjusted correctly. you shouldn't have much play in the throttle cable. You adjust this by using the two nuts on the throttle-cable housing attached to the carb,

2) turn up the idle. The bike should idle around 2000-2200 rpms when cold started, and should drop to 1800 or so after 5 minutes. But right now you just want a fast idle so you can adjust the bike's carb. The idle screw is the screw with a spring on it right that makes contact with the throttle cable.

3) if you have not done so, seat the mixture screw and tun it counter-clockwise (left) 2 and 1/2 turns.

4) let bike run 10 minutes. After bike has remained running for ten minutes, turn mixture crew 1/4 turn to left. wait five seconds, listen for RPM increase. Repeat until rpms do not rise. turn CLOCKWISE 1/2 turn EXACTLY. This is a SLIGHTLY RICH mixture. This is where your mixture should be for optimum performance.

5) set idle using idle screw to 1800 rpms.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy5000 View Post
1) make sure throttle is adjusted correctly. you shouldn't have much play in the throttle cable. You adjust this by using the two nuts on the throttle-cable housing attached to the carb,

2) turn up the idle. The bike should idle around 2000-2200 rpms when cold started, and should drop to 1800 or so after 5 minutes. But right now you just want a fast idle so you can adjust the bike's carb. The idle screw is the screw with a spring on it right that makes contact with the throttle cable.

3) if you have not done so, seat the mixture screw and tun it counter-clockwise (left) 2 and 1/2 turns.

4) let bike run 10 minutes. After bike has remained running for ten minutes, turn mixture crew 1/4 turn to left. wait five seconds, listen for RPM increase. Repeat until rpms do not rise. turn CLOCKWISE 1/2 turn EXACTLY. This is a SLIGHTLY RICH mixture. This is where your mixture should be for optimum performance.

5) set idle using idle screw to 1800 rpms.
i did all that but now the bike does not even stay on? after i changed the carb the bike lasted only 2 days fine and now it doesnt want to stay on, when i let go of the throttle it turns off. too late now, its in the mechanic shop as we speak.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #25

Hopefully they don't charge much to do a valve adjustment.

2005 Yamaha BWS (Zuma) "Garfield"
TP Black Trophy 70cc, Giannelli Reverse Pipe, 5g Dr. Pulley Sliders, Delta Clutch with Yellow Springs and Yellow Contra, Malossi Torque Controller, Naraku R-Vent Bell, NCY Adjustable Secondary Sliding Sheave, CF Reeds, Kege Analog Tach, Dual Headlight Mod, N.A. Rear Fender Delete, OEM Short Windshield.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #26

I had my scooter "looked at" by a mechanic for hard starting. He supposedly swapped out the carbs, put new spark plug, and check the valve clearance.

Well none of that helped so I got into it myself. I found that the enricher tip was cutoff and the air fuel screw had the oring missing. Besides the fact that it was all kinds of dirt in the carb.

Also I had an issue with the starter not spinning fast enough to turn the motor and sometimes would just spin... I had a bad engine ground.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #27
Banned

Update:: Ok guys, are you ready to know how much i got ripped off, the total was $165.00 here comes the good part, the mechanic said it was 2 things. He said the fuel line that i replaced had too much slack and the fuel pump wont have enough power to fuel the carb. And the second part was that the mixture and the idle speed screws were off. Now the reason i had some slack was because i wanted to put my fuel line in a downward angle plus i wanted it out of the way so i can put my bucket storage thingy. I did have some trouble adjusting the idle mixture and speed screws. The mechanic made my fuel line how it was stock, which is more of a straight line so i guess making your fuel line in a downward angle for better fuel flow is a myth...well there you have it, the scoot is running fine now, Ohh and dont forget i wasted money on a Uhaul pick up to bring the scoot to the shop...smh

Lesson Learned: never re-route hoses or fuel lines

Last edited by Frank Castle; 04-29-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #28

Hi
Very happy you got her running but at the same time so very sorry you had to pay so much to do so
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank
Old 04-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #29

Hey for $200.00 you got your screamin demon back. You learned a few things, so call it knowledge building man!! Go ride it hard now man.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapeto View Post
Hey for $200.00 you got your screamin demon back. You learned a few things, so call it knowledge building man!! Go ride it hard now man.
Thank you for those words cheap, i needed that