Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 07-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #1

Tao Tao Quantum 150 issues

Hi

So I finally go my first scoot a Tao Tao Quantuam 150, overall I am impressed with the quality of the bike for the price. I rode the scoot about 15 miles with no problems at all, then it stalled out on me like it was struggling for gas and died. So I waited about 5 minutes restarted it and it went for about 1 mile and did the same thing. It did the same exact thing to me 4 more times before I finally got it home that day.

Fast foward to next time out, I found some water in my fuel filter. So I drained all of the gas out of my tank and system and put another fuel filter on it that is BIGGER, i thought I had the problem fixed. Put fresh gas in and run for about 8 miles and it died again like it was struggling for gas. I opened the seat, took the gas cap off put it back on and it started back up no problems at. I did not hear any pressure relieving when I took the cap off and it is kind of pain to get mine off anyways.

I have only had this scoot for about 3 weeks so I called the dealer were I bought it from which is out of State. They said to disconnect the vent line fro m the fuel tank and drill a hole in the gas cap about 1/8" wide to prevent vapor lock. In the process of doing this which I did I disconnectd the main fuel line to the carb to get the air out while running and it is getting fuel to the carb just fine I also checked all fo the fuel lines in the process and none of them are kinked or bent.

If my quantum persists and has the same problem, what would be the next step to troubleshoot?

This scooter is only 3 weeks old and I should not be having these problems.
Also has anybody put a UniAirfilter on this quatum and if so what size will fit?

Thanks
Scott

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #2

Probably what I'd do... there is a drain on the bottom of these carbs. You take the plug out of the hose and the valve is on the carb where the hose connects. Open the valve and apply some suction on the hose from the intake to the petcock. Gas should flow out the drain hose, if the carb has water (which sounds likely) it should also drain that out of the carb. If gas gas doesn't flow out the carb needle/set need some attention... maybe a stuck close float or clogged needle/set. And finally the jets on these can clog easily, you may have to remove the carb and clean the jets. The newer carbs are "sealed" but you can get them open by making slots in the head of the screw and once out replace them with new screws. Gas out of the tank, through the petcock, through the filter to the carb... through the needle/seat, through the jets and into the air going through the carb. That's my two cents.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #3

Take the gas cap off and ride. If it doesn't bogg down and cut off with the gas cap off, then it's vapor lock. I had the same issue. Drill a small hole in the center of the flat long side of the gas cap twist handle, and you'll be good to go.

Login or Register to Remove Ads