Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 10-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #1

Polishing things on two stroke...

Hello,
soon I will start with my graduation project.
I will be working on my Aprilia rs50 am6 two stroke engine.
I will install 70cc piston and cylinder, but I must do something that will take 22hours, so just installing the piston and cylinder won`t be enough.
Together with all other things that I will do I`m thinking of polishing things.

I have few questions about it, because I found mixed opinios on internet.
1.Can I polish the carburator, intake manifold or will this cause loss of the flow?
2.I`ve read that polishing intake ports is bad, because it needs little bit of texture on it, is this true?
3.Can I polish the crankcase or it needs texture on it also?
4.I know that I can polish exhaust port, correct me if I`m wrong?
5.Does polishing tranny case has any benefits?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-06-2017, 11:13 PM   #2

Being lazy I have never bothered polishing the ports and rarely match them. I build them for durability, and a solid, trouble free 65 mph horizontal Zuma motor is good enough for me. Moped Army has a very good section describing what to polish and how to match ports. My friend did it to his motor, and even with a almost identical build he will hit 70 mph and get me off the line. Is your Aprilia the one with the EFI, or is it the old school carb model? Liquid or air cooled? Friend had a Derbi Predator liquid cooled once. That thing was FAST!
Old 10-07-2017, 03:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
Being lazy I have never bothered polishing the ports and rarely match them. I build them for durability, and a solid, trouble free 65 mph horizontal Zuma motor is good enough for me. Moped Army has a very good section describing what to polish and how to match ports. My friend did it to his motor, and even with a almost identical build he will hit 70 mph and get me off the line. Is your Aprilia the one with the EFI, or is it the old school carb model? Liquid or air cooled? Friend had a Derbi Predator liquid cooled once. That thing was FAST!
Hello, thank you for anwser. I will have a look at Moped Army. It`s a liquid cooled with carburator.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by padly1995 View Post
Hello, thank you for anwser. I will have a look at Moped Army. It`s a liquid cooled with carburator.
Can you send me a link please. I searched on Moped Army, but couldn`t find it.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #5

I don't know about a two-stroke but on a four-stroke , I have polished the intake & exhaust & the combustion chamber & it made quite a difference! You won't have any trouble reaching 22Hrs. It's very tedious! Irish

Old 10-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #6

The port polishing and matching is in Moped Armys Wiki page, under tuning. We can build a full motor in about a day total=24 hours. This is NOT counting splitting the cases and cleaning/prepping for the build. Beer and loud music tends to slow things down sometimes. Also we always end up misplacing something dumb like the upper con-rod bearing or discover that the case sealant (We use red Dirko) has dried up since the last build. There are also some good how-to videos on YouTube.