Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 10-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #1

Does anyone know??

The other day, my roommate got rear ended on my scooter. Driver of the car ended up turning it into insurance. Is there an adjuster for scooters?? What can I or should I expect from here? My scooter is pretty much done for. Police report was made and the driver of the car was at all fault. Thanks for the help!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #2

The key here is if you have insurance and does it cover another operator.

Be Big,
AMAC

SYM RV200 Evo
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
MC-95-250 Reverse Trike

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/amac1680/rv200-evo
Old 10-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #3

If it was determined to be the other person's fault insurance doesn't matter. The financial liability goes to the person at fault. If the person didn't have insurance the only recourse would be to go to court but insurance is there to prevent that.

As for scooter damage, if there's so much as a frame tab bent or any sort of misalignment in the frame it's totalled. There's no insurance company in the US that would take on the liability for a repaired frame. Plus a certified motorcycle frame builder would charge more to straighten the frame than the bike's worth.

When the time comes to get any payment they'll obviously lowball you. I'd hold out for a complete replacement. The guy took out your scooter so you get a new one of equal value, unless your scooter was a total POS beater then there's some depreciation. But insurance usually kicks in a little extra to persuade you not to go to court in a neck brace. Considering the low cost of these scooters I doubt you'd get much resistance from the insurance company to argue for a new replacement Chinese scooter.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Helped a bunch. And my scooter was almost flawless. I kept real good care if it. It was nice and didn't have a single thing wrong with it besides the back tire tread was getting pretty low. And as far as damage goes because of the wreck. Every single body panel was either cracked, destroyed, scratched or missing. Rear light assembly is destroyed. Rear fender/ mud flap completely gone. One mirror is broken. And exhaust is bent and broke. Rear wheel is bent. Tabs that hold the rear rack on are broke. Gas tank is dented and fuel gauge no longer works. So it's done for!
Old 10-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #5

I only asked about his insurance from a bad experience.

Years back I got hit by insured driver and the scoot was banged up pretty bad ,I was ok. No police report of accident, bad choice. His insurer says tough luck our client is not at fault unless I have a report that says otherwise.

Driver says sue me figuring I wouldn't waist my money and time over a 1000.00 scooter.
In the end he was right. Too expensive to pursue.

I guess my question should have been is there a police report.

Hope it works out for you.

SYM RV200 Evo
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
MC-95-250 Reverse Trike

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/amac1680/rv200-evo