Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 05-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #1

Question about 2 stroke scooter oil tank.

I have a 2005 Vento Triton r5 2 stroke scooter and I was wanting to know how I would know that the oil tank is actually working and mixing the oil with the gas. The person I got it from runs a scooter store and fixes them and everything and told me that he is not sure if it is working or not. So he told me that I need to put some oil mixed in the gas just to make sure. So I have been doing that and it seems like I am getting very terrible gas mileage. It is like I go about 20 miles maybe and it has about a quarter of a tank left. And I think that is terrible as my 4 stroke can go at least 70-100 miles and the tank is finally almost empty. So is it this way because of mixing a little gas in the oil tank and putting 50:1 oil mix in the gas tank? If this is the case I would like to be able to know for sure that the oil tank is working before I put straight gas in the tank and straight oil in the oil tank. As I am sure the scooter probably wouldn't run very long if it isn't getting little to any oil come out of its tank.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-05-2014, 11:27 PM   #2

My vento only gets about 60 miles per gallon. A 2 stroke engine is not as fuel efficent as a 4 stroke engine. My Tao Tao got about 90 miles per gallon but it was a 4 stroke engine. If your oil pump does not work or quits working you will find out right quickly as the engine will seize up. Adding 50 to 1 fuel will not really affect gas mileage a noticable amount but it may cause your engine to run a little on the lean side.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #3

So how long does a tank of oil last? I heard it lasts about 600 miles. And to make sire the engine doesnt seize up how much oil should i put in the gas? The specs online say it is a 1.7 gallon gas tank.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #4

Do not put gas in the oil tank. At tank of oil lasts around 600ish miles. Maybe more. If you put 50 to 1 fuel in your tank you wont have to worry about seizing up unless your carb is jetted to lean. If you have been riding it with 50 to 1 in the gas tank and had no problems so far then I doubt that your carb is jetted to lean. Some folks just do away with the oil pump and tank alltogether and run premix fuel. I myself do not worry about the oil pump a whole lot. My scoot has over 15000 miles on it and I have had no troubles with my oil pump. Just use a good 2 cycle oil not generic weedwacker stuff.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #5

So then if the oil tank eventually gets empty then it should be fine right. And can i use any oil that says 2 cycle. What kind would you recomend?

Old 05-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #6

Yes if your oil tank level goes down then your pump is working. If your pump works then you really do not have to add oil to your gas tank. But it is allright to add oil (50 to 1) to your gas tank untill you confirm that your pump is working all right. After a 100 or so miles you will be able to see if the oil level has dropped in your oiltank. If so your good to go. I use vavoline 2 cycle oil. Any name brand should be fine as long as it says 2 cycle injection or premix on the bottle. Many use amsoil,lucas,belray,royal purple to name a few. Just try to stay away from generic no name weed wacker oil or straight up outboard oil.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #7

What does the red light indicate? There is a green one which is the turn signal the red one and the blue one under it for the brights so what is the red one? It seems to flash on and off sometimes after I had accidentally filled it a little too much for the fuel. I put 93 in it as the scooter person I got it from said I should put it in the tank. But yet under the seat is says use 89 octane. Will 93 octane be too much? I had also put in about 15-20 ccs of startron in the tank after I had filled it up. The red light had turned on for a second when I had the ignition to on and it went off after a second or so when I got it started. But then when I had turned it off and left it in the start position it turned on again and turned off a few times when I was getting the kickstand down. Does this mean that it is not getting oil or something? There is also a led bulb close to the speedometer and I was told this turns yellow when it is about halfway down for the oil but it hasn't turned on yet.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #8

my light never came on but I think its a red light when your low on oil
Old 05-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #9

I had just found this on another forum. The other light next to the speedometer is an alarm light aparently.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #10

If your red light is flashing on and off when the oil is sloshing around in the tank (putting bike on kickstand) then it's time to add oil. An easy way to see if the pump is working is just fill the oil all the way up to where you can see it in the filler neck and then ride for a while. The oil level should drop slowly.

Also the light normally turns on for a second when you switch the key from off to on. This is to show you that the light isn't burnt out.

2005 Yamaha BWS (Zuma) "Garfield"
TP Black Trophy 70cc, Giannelli Reverse Pipe, 5g Dr. Pulley Sliders, Delta Clutch with Yellow Springs and Yellow Contra, Malossi Torque Controller, Naraku R-Vent Bell, NCY Adjustable Secondary Sliding Sheave, CF Reeds, Kege Analog Tach, Dual Headlight Mod, N.A. Rear Fender Delete, OEM Short Windshield.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #11

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
If your red light is flashing on and off when the oil is sloshing around in the tank (putting bike on kickstand) then it's time to add oil. An easy way to see if the pump is working is just fill the oil all the way up to where you can see it in the filler neck and then ride for a while. The oil level should drop slowly.

Also the light normally turns on for a second when you switch the key from off to on. This is to show you that the light isn't burnt out.
Hey so when I turn on or off and the red light comes on, it does not mean that I need oil? I have an 04 zuma. Im sorry to ask a question on your tread, I hope its all good.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuma04 View Post
Hey so when I turn on or off and the red light comes on, it does not mean that I need oil? I have an 04 zuma. Im sorry to ask a question on your tread, I hope its all good.
Nope it only flickers on when you switch the ignition, which is normal and tells you the light is working.

If you're riding and the light comes on and stays on, you need to add oil. I never let it get there though, just add a quart of good 2T oil every 3 weeks or so with regular riding.

2005 Yamaha BWS (Zuma) "Garfield"
TP Black Trophy 70cc, Giannelli Reverse Pipe, 5g Dr. Pulley Sliders, Delta Clutch with Yellow Springs and Yellow Contra, Malossi Torque Controller, Naraku R-Vent Bell, NCY Adjustable Secondary Sliding Sheave, CF Reeds, Kege Analog Tach, Dual Headlight Mod, N.A. Rear Fender Delete, OEM Short Windshield.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #13

Thank you Firehawk, I was worried for a second . Now its all good!