Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 05-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #1

2007 TWGO Venice issues.

Hey All!

First time posting here, but have read a bunch already and it has been a great help!

So I bought a twgo 49cc venice scooter a bit back that was in bad shape for almost nothing, And ive been working on it. I changed the battery, cleaned the carb and had it up and running pretty well for the most part.

Then yesterday something weird happens. I brought it to a mechanic to get it inspected, and I tell them that the electric starter doesn't work and I always have to kick start it. They then show me the electric starter does work and i've been doing it wrong the whole time (Not holding the break while pressing the button! oops) They then give the scooter a clean bill of health. So on my way home I use the electric starter to start and am on my way. After about a mile or two while I am stopped at a light the scooter just shuts off on me, which has never happened before.

I use the electric starter again and am on my way. Come to another light after another mile or so. Same thing. This time I am suspicious of the electric starter and do a kick start. Get it back in business and all fine, come to a stop sign and it stops again. This time I can not get it to start, and it seems like the battery is dead because none of the lights are now even coming on.

I have a feeling that somehow the electric starter caused this, the battery is less than one month old and has been riding fine until i used the starter. I tried to charge the battery last night to no avail. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever seen something like this and had any advice!

Thanks everyone!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #2

Check the valve clearances. They tighten up in time and mileage and cause a loss of compression. The gap should be .003 inch. That gap is very small and tightens up quickly when new.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #3

I read a post that there is a lot of confusion about the valve lash clearance. It's supposed to be .05mm or .002 inches.

Check out this manual http://www.chinesescooterreference.c...otermanual.pdf page 21 diagram.

you also might want to check your carb adjustments. I'm not sure how to do that as I've been having troubles with that area

Old 05-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #4

Classic tight valve clearance symptoms. The electric starter will not cause that.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #5

you can get a feeler gauge at the auto parts store for under $10. And there are a couple youtube vids to show you how to do it. It's super easy.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 AM   #6

Hey Everyone!

Really appreciate all of the great answers here. I am going to look into the valve thing tomorrow when i get off work.

But i'm not sure thats the issue, I realized after I posted I should check my fuses and of course one of them had blown. So I go out and get a couple of new ones, re-place the fuse and then it blows again.

So it seems like I have a weird electric problem! Going to look into it for sure.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:32 AM   #7

sounds good. Not a bad idea to check your valve lash every few thousand kilometers though. From everthing I've read they like to get out of tolerance and need to be checked once in a while like a tune up... Good luck!