Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 08-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #1

Scooter rear wheel

I bought a scooter that's in pretty junky condition, but hey it runs and I need to get to college. The scooter is a 150cc taotao powermax. The headlights need to be replaced, the plastics are 100% for some reason held together via zip-tie. That's not the problem though, it holds together and everything.

The rear wheel isn't stock. It's a 14 inch wheel that I imagine is from a motorcycle or a larger scooter. It has disc brakes on it. Well, the disc at least. The front disc brake assembly is fine and works (with the exception of the pulsating squeal at lower speeds when braking, which I'm unsure of the cause as the pads are fine).

My problem is, I need to know what pads I need for these brakes. I got a caliper and everything, I just don't know what type of pad to get. I'm not really even sure if the hydraulic system is assembled on the inside but I imagine that wouldn't be too difficult to arrange. I can't exactly look up "taotao powermax rear disc pads", because this scooter comes stock with drum brakes.

I'm fine riding with just front brakes for now. But it's not something that I'm keen to do for too long, even if they are very effective in stopping me. I weigh 280lbs and I'd rather not leave my life on the line with one set of brakes to stop me.

So, how would I figure out which type of pads to get for this caliper?

It may sound very bad, but the scooter starts and runs fine. The man I bought it from didn't exactly let on about these problems when he sold it to me but I didn't really inquire too much so shame on me. They aren't impossible to fix and I got it for $500 usd so it's not the end of the world.

ALSO, can anyone link me to where I can buy all of the replacement plastics? These look atrocious and aren't too sturdy.

If you need pictures of the caliper let me know.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Tags
150cc, brakes, cy150, powermax, taotao