Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #1

Hello from North-West England!

Hi to all of you!
My name is Garry, nicknamed Gaz, I'm 61 years old (but age is just a number!) and I'm a scooter fan! As my username might suggest, I'm Scottish, but I've lived in England most of my life (some of you may find that statement confusing, so here goes- England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland (Ulster) are the four countries that make up the United Kingdom. Most people outside the UK identify the entire UK as England, but all 4 countries have their own cultural identity, and to call a Scot, Welshman or Ulsterman English could cause grave offence!)
I live in a small town just outside Manchester, and work in a clothing warehouse/distribution centre where we send sportswear and fashion wear to shops all over the UK and Europe.
I recently acquired a used GY6 50cc scooter. The (English) brand is DirectBikes, but it's pretty much a Longjia/Baotian/Xingyue clone. Directbikes sells mail order scooters from a website, but I found mine at a local motorcycle workshop for sale with 3100Km covered and a 12 month roadworthiness certificate (MOT as we call it!) for £295, which is about $430! She's 5 years old, and is shown in my profile picture! The last few days, I've noticed she's a bit down on power, so some work is required, I think. Valve clearances, a new sparkplug, and a carb tune-up, maybe? Longer term, I intend fitting a Naraku trans kit to improve hill-climbing ability, and maybe a 72cc kit . . .

I'm divorced, father of 4 (2 of each!), and happily settled with Janice and now stepdad to 5, and Granpa to 12, who think "Granpa's Motorbike" is hilarious!

Login or Register to Remove Ads