Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 10-14-2017, 12:30 AM   #1

Need Some Help Please

I purchased a Used 2009 Bashan Moped from a guy for $50.00 he informed me that it needed a carburetor. t needed a few more things as well but i ordered the carburetor and installed it.. i had it running about 5 times but it wouldnt idle.. the 5th time i held the throttle wide open and the rear wheel was spinning pretty good... and when i took my hand out of the throttle it died again... i haven't been able to get it started since.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-14-2017, 12:31 AM   #2

I have ordered a new cdi, new spark plug, new ignition coil i am hoping this is all it is... im thinking it has to be something simple... bc it started a few times.

Last edited by AJBane2006; 10-14-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:50 AM   #3

to me it seems like its not getting any spark... but my question is this... if its not getting any spark... why did it start 5 times and then stop starting... thats what puzzles me.

Last edited by AJBane2006; 10-14-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #4

throwing parts at it won't work. you need to find out if it's a fuel issue,electrical problem, compression problem so that saying you will need a few things first try spray some starter fluid into intake if it starts good chance it's a fuel problem if not take out plug leave wire on and ground plug to engine crank engine see if spark if no spark check plug wire make sure booth is screw on tight to wire after that you will need a multi meter to start testing col,pick up, cdi box.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #5

ok so i have no spark. i do indeed have compression because i placed my finger over the hole i took the spark plug out of and i can feel the compression sucking in.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #6

If it starts you are getting spark. If unsure use a spark tester. Should be blue and strong. Is this scooter all beat up with busted panels or good condition? That can tell you a lot about its history. Has it been sitting for a long time? Does the gas smell fresh? Fuel filter looks/flows good? Putting a new carb on anything with bad gas will give you bad results. Keep in mind that just because the carb is new does not mean its "factory" set to the scooter its being installed on. Just trying to help you get the basics in place before you start random swapping stuff. crawford said it best.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #7

Boy where does this putting finger over hole tells people they have compression? Compression gauges takes 4 or 5 cranks to get a compression reading and people tell it by putting finger over spark plug hole LOL.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #8

Compression doesn't suck in either you need at lease over 100 psi to seaport fire if to low it won't fire ..... Now if you feel suction sounds like you have a timing issue according to your statement but I dote it
Old 10-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #9

Any decent auto-parts store will loan you a compression gauge. Spark tester also. Just put a safety deposit down on what you wanna borrow. I hope its something as simple as adjusting the carb and maybe changing a fuel filter, and not a motor that was starved of oil causing top end damage. Get in there AJ and give us a update.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #10

To test the compression on one of these engines with a gauge, a 10mm adapter must be used. A standard spark plug is 14mm. You can possibly use the gauge with the rubber insert you shove into the spark plug hole; otherwise your compression gauge has to have the smaller 10mm adapter included to accomodate the small spark plug size. I do not know if the loaner kits at the auto parts store include the adapter.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #11

ok so i kept fooling around with it today and i finally got it to start again... im almost positive that its a bad ignition coil. i wiggled it around and it finally started again a few times today. but still wants to die at idle. i sucked all the old gas out of it with a shop vac and put some ethanol free gas in it. the oil was black as tar. so i also changed the oil.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:02 PM   #12

but yes it is beat up a bit. and has been sitting for a long time. and another issue with it... so i purchased a new starter relay and a new starter switch.. and i still cant engage the starter with the button on the handle bar. i have to jump the relay with a screwdriver to get the starter to work.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #13

I bought a 98 Zuma scooter that sat for around 1-2 years! Carb had rock hard varnish in it and the tank was a nightmare! I managed to salvage the carb, mostly because we have a industrial parts cleaner at my job, and I cleaned out the fuel tank 3 times total. Also replaced the fuel filter just because it was cheap and easy to get at. Scooter runs like a top now! Sometimes the plug boot/cap gets a damaged spring holder and does not make good contact. It will stall at idle. My Adly had it break in the first 100 miles. I have it kinda rigged now but it has done around 1000 miles now with no issues. Now, other issue. A weak battery will make it hard to start, sometimes not even letting the starter engage. Did you put a new battery in it or was the one with the scooter still good? At the price you paid it does not seem that bad a deal. Cheapest I ever let a scooter go was $400 for a nice and clean 08 Zuma 2 stroke. Still kicking myself because I wanted $750 obo. Long story but I honored the price. Helped someone out and went to a good home, plus I broke even on the deal. Shop Vac and fuel? Wow, you got LUCKY you didnt blow up!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
I bought a 98 Zuma scooter that sat for around 1-2 years! Carb had rock hard varnish in it and the tank was a nightmare! I managed to salvage the carb, mostly because we have a industrial parts cleaner at my job, and I cleaned out the fuel tank 3 times total. Also replaced the fuel filter just because it was cheap and easy to get at. Scooter runs like a top now! Sometimes the plug boot/cap gets a damaged spring holder and does not make good contact. It will stall at idle. My Adly had it break in the first 100 miles. I have it kinda rigged now but it has done around 1000 miles now with no issues. Now, other issue. A weak battery will make it hard to start, sometimes not even letting the starter engage. Did you put a new battery in it or was the one with the scooter still good? At the price you paid it does not seem that bad a deal. Cheapest I ever let a scooter go was $400 for a nice and clean 08 Zuma 2 stroke. Still kicking myself because I wanted $750 obo. Long story but I honored the price. Helped someone out and went to a good home, plus I broke even on the deal. Shop Vac and fuel? Wow, you got LUCKY you didnt blow up!
Yes i have a new battery in it... got a new carb on it a new starter relay (But my start button wont work at all)... i have the ignition coil and the new cdi and a ngk spark plug on the way... if i had to guess i'd say the one i bought also had been sitting at least a year plus... i was in the guys back yard with tons of weeks grown up around it. Also it has no brakes at all... but will deal with that once i get it running good.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:34 PM   #15

My 98 Zuma was sitting, like I said, for 1-2 years. I got lucky though. It was kept in a climate controlled garage and it has drum brakes. Im a small engine tech for a living but dont work on or fix them, I just test them for emissions compliance. I do build 2 stroke scooters and mopeds for fun, see how fast you can get it to go without falling apart. If I cant figure something out or run into a weird problem my boss has a Dr. degree in mechanical engineering/small engine technology. Now onto your scoot. I bet the window for the brake fluid level check on the front brake master cylinder is leaking. I have had it happen and it sucks! Agree on getting it running first. Keep us updated and dont hesitate to ask questions!