Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 07-27-2015, 05:15 PM   #1

Starter keeps turning over/ won't stop

Hey everybody! I have a 250 cc chinese scoot and it runs great. I only have one problem with it that is annoying. Occasionally when I go to start it, the starter turns over fine but then it gets stuck or something and won't stop turning over. I turn off the key and the kill switch but it still turns over until I disconnect the battery. I even tried to remove the fuse first but that didn't work. I tried replacing the starter solenoid once and I got this same problem so I replaced it again and it happened once again. Any help on how I can fix this would be very appreciated!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #2

The way power flows in the two circuits is:

CONTROL: battery -->Ign Switch -->Brake Switch(es)-->Solenoid (primary coil winding)-->Start button --> ground

SLAVE:
battery-->Solenoid (internal switch)-->starter -->ground

Since removing the fuse, did not stop the cranking, then the control circuit is good. Thus the problem has to be in the slave circuit.

Most 250cc engines I have seen, crank what I consider an excessive time AND they pull enormous amounts of power at the same time. My guess is the solenoid gets overheated and corroded (most likely from condensation or rain). Or the starter is failing inside and pulling too much power.

IF I owned a 250cc, I would upgrade the solenoid and the cables. The solenoid I would use is a Ford suppression type. Yes, it would cost a few bucks, but the headaches would be over.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. What relay would you buy for a scooter exactly and what gauge of wire?

Old 07-29-2015, 04:26 AM   #4

AWG size 0 to 4, prefer 0, but nothing smaller than 4

a standard Bosch 4 terminal relay to control the solenoid, like I said, this design solenoid

Old 08-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #5

Sorry to bring this back up again, but how would I you install a 4 pole starter solenoid when the existing solenoid only has two terminals and a wiring harness that connects to the brake and starter button? I haven't seen any videos or any information on anyone using a car's solenoid on a scooter.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #6

Can you post a pic of the documentation for the relay? Because I seriously doubt that it has 4 poles. Sometimes there is a diagram right on the unit.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:02 PM   #7

the 2 copper terminals in that prior picture go to battery pos. and to starter the silver terminals usually go 1 to ground 1 to switched source the silver terminals however to be used in this instance 1 would get power from brake switches the other would get grounded by the start button. using the earlier provided wiring info (I don't usually use that but it was already readily available I usually make and design my own harnesses from components).