Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 08-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #1

Overcharging Big TIme

TaoTao Thunder 50, replaced stator, regulator/rectifier, still charging at the battery 16+ volts DC. Swapped r/r with another scooter, same thing, other scooter charging normally with original r/r and with the one from the problem scooter. Some people point to a ground issue. The green wire that attaches to the front of the engine, where are the other ground points? Also others say the connector at the r/r maybe bad, how to test that? This is making me FKing crazy. Please help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-11-2015, 11:26 PM   #2

I am assuming you are using a d.v.o.m. (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) to check voltages. To start check for other ground locations and clean them all with some sort of abrasive if the problem persists check battery voltage >at battery< before, during, and after startup ( while its running). If the battery voltage is more than 0.2v different from at the regulator there is a ground/ power issue (loose connection, g.f.s. (green fuzzy shtuff), an abnormal resistance somewhere in the circuit. They best way to determine if there is a bad connection is to probe (DO NOT PIERCE THE INSULATION ON THE WIRE use a connector use the back side of an open backed connector) both sides of the suspect area and do an ohm test. connectors should have less than 0.3 ohms resistance, same with non resistance wires. The reason I emphasized not piercing the insulation is to prevent corrosion I have had to rebuild entire wiring harnesses because some backyard mechanic has done that. If you must use the connections on the ends of the wire or seal the punctures right away with a spray sealant or adhesive lined shrink tubing (sometimes called marine shrink tubing) in an emergency even clear nail polish works. don't let water and air enter your electrical insulation this only leads to corrosion and headaches trying to find the break in the wire.