Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > The Dawg Pound

Old 01-22-2018, 02:35 PM   #1

" Mental Shock"

My wife told me this morning that she thought that I was to old to drive the car! I don't understand it because she is a few months older than I & my bike is a 5 speed. Both of my kids agree with her. It all stems from me taking a minor fall yesterday when walking! Irish

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #2

My wife is in her 60's, is borderline diabetic and has minor dizzy spells and had some light falls. She commutes around 60 miles each way to work. So far, so good BUT she needs to concentrate on her long term health. That being said, I dont really know how to respond to you situation. Perhaps your family see's something you dont? Perhaps they are over reacting as everyone has a fall now and then? Perhaps they are afraid you are going to spend the kids inheritance on a Z06 Vette or something else crazy? You been looking at giant $100k+ RV homes lately? They say family has your best interest in mind, but only you know what your best interest is. Have a quality talk with them and get everyone on the same page.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #3

Question

I'm 73 (74 next month). I've taken much worse falls on motorcycles. I used to race motorcycles & cars. At least I didn't break any bones this time. Much to my wifes dismay , I've put race bikes back together while on crutches. Irish

Old 01-23-2018, 09:05 PM   #4

What kind of roads do you travel to run your errands, Irish? Can you avoid driving the fast multi-lane roads and still go where you need to go? You are out numbered but you can still negotiate.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:54 AM   #5

Old woman syndrome. My sister had a tizzy fit because her husband bent her car up a little driving it, nothing a trip to the body shop couldn't fix. I'd say be honest with yourself, know your limits, watch the medications, and don't play with the GPS or smart phone apps while driving (one of my faults). Some of the new cars will almost drive themselves now, I don't know if that's good or bad but it might be a good thing for some of us as we age.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #6

I just got done fixing our front light pole that my super driver wife backed our golf cart over! Irish