Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 05-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #16

Quote:
After extensive reading and pondering, I chose the Roketa MC-54b.
Congrats on the new ride.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #17

Well, I ordered my scooter from Superior Powersports on 5/15, but they haven't been able to ship it yet. There was an issue with my payment (on their end) where my status had been "payment declined" even after they had received my payment. That was sorted out, but the order immediately went to a "Pre-order" status which keeps getting pushed back further. It was initially 6/20, 6/30, and has since been pushed back to 7/15.

Since I ordered the scooter, I've purchased all of my gear, taken the MSF BRC, and received my permanent motorcycle operator license. I've been very busy moving into a new home, so I haven't pressed the issue with Superior. I'm finally starting to get impatient, and am getting close to cancelling my order.

The 54b is the model I really want, but I'm considering the downgrade to the 79 since that appears to be in stock at both Superior and PowerSportsMax. I vastly prefer the style of the 54/Reflex body though. Another concern is that some reviews indicate that the 79 has poor radiator placement resulting in worse cooling. Can anyone comment on that to verify if that will be an issue? I live in NE Texas where summer temps can commonly be over 100 degrees.

My options:
  1. Wait indefinitely for Superior to receive and ship my scooter.
  2. Give Superior a chance to offer me an incentive to downgrade to the less-desired Type 79.
  3. Cancel my order and purchase the Type 79 from Powersports Max or another competing retailer.
  4. Purchase a used scoot locally via CL; I've found a couple of possibilities here, but I would really prefer new, and the local scoots have the CFMoto 244cc instead of the 257cc motor I would prefer. I also don't like the fact that a local purchase may not have been well-maintained...
Thoughts?
Old 07-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #18

Personally, I would ask Superior for some incentive not to cancel my order. They need to be stepping up at this point. But, I would give them a chance to do so. Good luck!

Old 07-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #19

Okay: I just got off of a 2 1/2 hour long chat session with Aaron at Superior. Most of that time was waiting while he was escalating my concern to his manager.

My inquiry was regarding the reason for the delay they are experiencing with receiving their shipment. Their response was to offer me a $20 discount for my inconvenience until I pointed out that they were offering a $50 off discount as an Indepence Day sale special. He was able to apply this $50 discount to my order so that worked out well...

He also provided some infomation that is interesting if true. He indicated that the delays were due to this being an import of a new model. I know many of the 54b style scooters were old-stock. This unit was listed as In-Stock when I ordered so I am speculating that the old-stock may have been depleted. He specifically stated that this is an all-new 2013 model.

"...since this is a new product we're waiting on shipment from the manufacturer and like all new products there is a lot of steps you have to go through to get it here. Shipping and customs is what we're waiting on."

"...the price of this unit is going up soon so a benefit of having an older order is you get to keep that price."

"It is a new 2013 model."

"...it may even have some newer features!"

Anyone have any insight into this and can confirm that 2013-models are being imported now?
Old 07-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #20

I don't think you will find any difference in model years. Any extra features would probably amount to something relating to stricter pollution laws. If you do your part and take care of it you will have many years of reliable riding. john

Old 07-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #21

An interesting side bit is Roketa. They will buy from virtually any factory and specialize in buying whole inventories. That being said, you can actually find some good deals from Roketa if you take the time to research the WMI and determine the actual factory that produced the scoot.

I'd go with the 79.....made by a much better company.

LFF = ZHEJIANG TAIZHOU WANGYE POWER CO.

"Pittsburgh's Premier Scooter Dealer"
Old 07-06-2013, 03:49 AM   #22

Updates could be rejetting,
I would have chosen the 54 for looks and the radio only. The 79 has weird handlebars.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigit View Post
Updates could be rejetting,
I would have chosen the 54 for looks and the radio only. The 79 has weird handlebars.
They both have radios but the placement looks weird on the 79. I don't know about the handlebars, but I never liked the mirror stalks on the 79, I think the more traditional mirrors on the 54 look much better. I like the 54 fairing better but the LED lighting, silver trim, and trunk box look better on the 79. I like that the floorboards extend further on the 54 as well. The 54 has the alarm too; I don't care about the remote start feature but I like the alarm!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #24

Update directly from Roketa:

Yesterday, I wrote out a quick email to Roketa directly, inquiring regarding the import status of the 2013 MC-54b:

"In mid-May, I ordered a Roketa MC-54b scooter from a dealer here in the US. It has been delayed repeatedly, and per a recent conversation, they are currently waiting on customs regarding the import of the new 2013 model year. Can you confirm that the 2013 MC54b has been EPA approved and is cleared for import into the US? If it will be several months, I will change my order to an alternate Roketa model that is currently in stock."

I received this response this morning:

"The 2013 MC-54-250cc has been EPA approved, and should arriving our warehouse less than 2 weeks. Tks!

Goldenvale/Roketa
"

This sounds promising to me. I've located several other online dealers who are also verifying the arrival of the 2013 MC-54b to be in mid-July. Maybe my scooter will get shipped this month after all!

I'm not sure what model year was being shipped until this point (Can anyone verify?) but I'll be glad to have a newer-assembly which has spent less time decaying in a crate on a shelf. I'm hoping the new model will have better quality hoses than some of the old 2008 apparently had.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #25

Well, if it's EPA approved, it can only mean that your bike will be running leaner, and has less power.
That's all EPA does. Exhaust restriction.
The good thing is, upjet, and have fun; or ride around as is. Really, the EPA has even caused Hondas to run lean, with their stupid regulations.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #26

Hey Keltex78, Just got back to the board after being gone awhile.. Just curious to know what's up with the scooter delivery. Hope silence means that you are out riding around and having a great time..
Old 08-23-2018, 05:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltex78 View Post
I just registered for the basic rider safety course: Two 8-hour days, June 8-9. Not getting much rest that weekend. I'll have to wake up and get rolling a lot earlier than I'm used to, the class starts at 7:30 and I've got a bit of a drive to get to the location.

I picked up a pair of boots at Academy last night; I'll be shopping for a helmet next. I need to pick up a suitable long-sleeved shirt for the class. I'll probably just hit up Goodwill or a thrift store for a used denim shirt. I never wear long sleeves, even in winter. I'll need gloves too...

The course requires me to bring eye protection? Does a helmet visor count, can I wear sunglasses, or would I need ANSI safety glasses?
Sorry for bumping up in this thread, since i'm in same situation like registered for the rider safety course..So safety they are considering as crucial importance..I have to wear safety helmet, shoes,etc..Which is the best place to buy all these stuff?????

-----------------
Thanks
ShannonHarlan
Old 08-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #28

The most choices would be any powersports shops close to your area. I bought my first 3/4 helmet from Pep Boys, along with a pair of gloves. My boots came from Super Shoes.
Then when I decided I really enjoyed 2 wheels, I found a local motorcycle gear shop, that had a sale going on. That is where I got my Gator Skins, riding jacket, goggles, and falling down pants from there also. I got my Frogg Toggs from one of the powersports outlets.
Just got to look around.