Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 06-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #1

Hi cross country trip?

so i have this idea in my head. i want to possibly take my 150cc scoot on a cross country trip. i'm sick of where i'm at and want to go. my scoot will have a brand new motor and upgraded tires from 12 inch to 13 inch. any suggestions of what else i should do to it? also any suggestions of gear to take? also any input from anyone else who has taken an adventure like this is appreciated

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-14-2019, 12:15 AM   #2

That’s awesome. Never done a trip over 200 miles on my scooter but done long trips on motorcycles. I’d take at least a basic tool kit. An extra cvt belt. Extra oil and a way to carry some spare fuel. Extra spark plug. Can of fix a flat. 2 pair of underwear
Old 06-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #3

A fifty mile round trip would be plenty for me...

Old 06-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #4

It kind of depends on the scooter. If it's Chinese, you should have a support van with a couple of spare scooters worth of parts.

Re. the fuel bottle, that's a good idea, but get one that was designed to carry fuel; don't be tempted to put it in a water bottle.

Rather than the can of fix-a-flat, I'd bring tools to plug your tubeless tire. Or maybe both.

Hopefully, you're not planning on camping, because that gear alone is going to fill up your scooter. Better off to map out EconoLodges on the route, or cheap ma 'n pa motels.

Other items:
- Rain suit
- An old wash cloth soaked in Windex in a ziploc bag to wipe bugs off your visor
- A multi-tool and its bit kit (ex. Leatherman Surge or Gerber MP600 Pro Scout)
- A Beadrider beaded seat cover
- Your old socks and underwear; throw them out along the way
- Roadside assistance plan (check that your company will tow bikes; State Farm doesn't, which I found out when stranded, one time)

What's the longest trip you've taken to date? If it's just a hundred miles or two, you might want to do a dry one in which you travel the whole weekend. Things you should have brought will present themselves.

Good luck; let us know how it goes!
Old 06-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #5

Crossing the country on a 150cc scoot means you will be travelling a lot of county roads. Wish I was going with you.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #6

Keep the speed at or below 45 mph and the scooter will be fine. If it has a new engine make sure it's broken in before you go and have done a couple of oil changes. Patience is the key. It won't take all day running at full throttle so go easy and enjoy the ride.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:12 PM   #7

Im curious as to where your leaving from and going to. Is this a mid-life thing, a break before adulthood, a trip between jobs or just a re-boot? I've done a max or 600 mile days (5 in a row) on a rocket bike in my youth. Wouldnt dare try it now. Done a 700 mile day-ALL DAY-on a Honda Helix when I was younger. Now, if your taking your time and not rushing age really has nothing to do with it. What did I pack:
Frog Togs rain coat. Also keeps you warm when chilly out.
Kidney belt because back pain always crept in.
Extra, light weight shoes so Im not wearing boots the whole time.
Extra keys zip-tied under the panels.
Forgetting a bunch of stuff.....
Anyways, I say go for it. I've driven 18 wheelers cross country many times. Seen some cool stuff.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #8

I have Type 2 Diabetes so I'd have to tow a trailer behind my bike to carry my many pills & a cooler for my insulin & I'd have to check the State Laws on the transportation of needles! When I was younger , I didn't worry about those things. Wait a minute , I just sold my ride & I havn't built a new one yet!Irish
P.S. Before I quit drinking , I didn't care if anything was legal or not. I was usually 1/2 in the bag & was usually packing heat!
Old 07-03-2019, 06:54 PM   #9

I went for a ride with some 50cc guys not long ago and everyone of them was open carrying something. I like those Dog the Bounty Hunter giant mace cans myself! I always carry mace or pepper spray in a easy to grab location. If you defend yourself with a gun here, no matter what the circumstances, you WILL GET LOCKED UP until further notice. Im to pretty for jail! Youth made us do stupid things that Im surprised some of us survived!
Old 07-08-2019, 03:51 AM   #10

The older I get, the better I was.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #11

Set start and end times for traveling to keep your body attunded for your daily jaunts. For example, will you ride only 5 hours a day, shorter or longer? Research your routes to see if there is construction, or high volume traffic patterns due to vacation travelers, or anything that can slow you down. Add an hour or more to any route predictions. If Google maps says you can make a trip in 4 hours, consider it to be 5+. You'll need to take bathroom breaks, fill-ups and a meal(s).

Have daily destination stops, as well as mid-way stops - service plazas, gas stations/mechanics and hotels in case something goes wrong, or does delay you - weather, construction or a breakdown.

- Wolf