Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 11-28-2019, 12:40 PM   #1

Nickle and Dime. Worse ones!

So, I still have my 98 Zuma. After the throttle issue its still pulled apart. Other things (roof repair) has sidelined my time. Anyways, upon pulling it apart, I found some old, dried oil supply lines. Then, had a screw strip out. And a ripped gasket.... Now I'm $100 in silly but needed small parts. The nickle and dime curse happens with any older vehicle. Who else has gotten surprises while working on anything old?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #2

Oh yeah, you just keep fixing things and finding something else that needs fixing until finally there isn't anything left to fix. Been there and done that many times.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:37 AM   #3

I'm a perfectionist when building motorized stuff. I cant stand zip-ties in place of hose clamps, rounded out screw/bolt heads, mis-matched hardware, etc. So when I start rebuilding something it quickly gets out of hand. Garage roof is almost done, so I can get back to putting the Zuma back together.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:58 PM   #4

I can tell you this from experience. Scooters are just that way. Like Harleys they all are in a persistent state of need. My CF Moto just cost me $400 in repairs to find a wire that rubbed through and wouldn't carry voltage. This business of hiding everything under sheet metal or plastic panels can be a curse. The CF Moto is a 2009 and it will need some fiddling before the 2020 riding season.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #5

Winter here so I transition to inside stuff usually. And nickle and dime stuff fixing stuff that ought to have been fixed over the summer. Current project is an old Dell Optiplex 740 with bad capacitors. I could have replaced the capacitors but Oh noooooo, I decided to put a mother board from a 780 into the old case. Turns out the front I/O panel and cable are different, so I'm looking for a 780 front panel and cable. Why mess with an old computer? Gives me something to do and keeps me busy and out of trouble. I did change out the carb on a neighbor's generator set yesterday. Got it running, ethanol gas again, it has a resin fuel tank and the ethanol really did job on it, the binders from the tank had coated the inside of the carb and ruined the seals and gaskets. Time to top off the batteries on the scooters as they sit over winter and the batteries on the riding lawnmowers and whatever else sits over winter. You don't want them sitting dead over winter.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:29 PM   #6

I finally got around to messing with the pre-bug Zuma, and the motor is now out! Gonna go with a mild (cast iron) 70cc kit and possibly a chrome Yasuni R. Chrome gets ya home! Then again, a friend is insisting that I go with a full Stage 6 street race set-up. Im setting a budget and Im not gonna let it nickle and dime me to death! My old 70cc on my bug-eye Zuma did almost 9000miles until it soft seized during super cold weather. Oh, and I snagged a ring after the rebuild at around 1000miles, so the nickle and dime curse may just follow me again.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:53 PM   #7

So I can't make any lame excuses and get side tracked, because EVERYTHING is closed because of COVID-19. It's no longer cold outside, and its also not hot and muggy out. The 98 Zuma may just be on the road again really soon. I'm just having motivation issues. Wife says she'll help if needed. Went with:
Malossi 50cc cast performance ported cylinder/piston.
Yasuni-Z exhaust. Raw finish. Might have it powder coated.
Malossi Multi-Var variator.
Two sets of tuning roller packs to set it correct.
Assorted clutch springs and a bearing contra (torque) spring base.
White-10% stiffer Malossi torque spring.
New OEM belt.
Dellorto 17.5 carb (because I couldnt find a usable 14mm one).
Assorted main and pilot jets.
Heaviest reed pedals I can find because I'm not changing the atomizer to a 2 stroke one. Stiff reeds cancel the excess blow-back.
Free flow/de-restricted intake. Looks the same as the stock one.
Clear cover OEM air filter box. Same as stock but clear. Hate pod style filters.
But got a Malossi Red air filter for the air box. Requires jetting attention.
And more nickle and dime stuff.....
Completely rebuilt/replaces all nasty swing arm bearings.
All new oil and fuel hoses. OEM ones as well. $60 in hoses!
COMPLETELY cleaned EVERYTHING! Took forever but was worth it.
Rebuilt headset bearings. Yuck!
Lubed all cables, replaced sketchy ones. OEM again.
So I just need to get in the garage. Got a few new CD's (Yes, I still buy physical media) to help me stay motivated.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #8

Got five days off from work and the Zuma is STILL in parts piles. I get distracted very easily and its muggy outside today. Supposed to be nicer by this Sunday so I "might" get around to getting it running again. I believe I'm dome putting money in to it, so that's a step in the right direction.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #9

I need to get this Zuma put back together. Now its freaking HOT during the day so I may try for a night rebuild. My Piaggio Liberty is in the shop for warranty work (rear reduction box leaked out all oil and munched the gears for a snack) so I'm stuck on my wifes Honda Silverwing trike. At least something runs. I'm leaving the stock cylinder on the Zuma and keeping the stock transmission in it. Have no urge or time to tune the new upgraded parts and I dont wanna hear a expansion chamber screaming in my ear.

So the nickle and dime parts are not gonna be used at the moment. I hope once I get it running again I will enjoy it. As it sits, not running, its taking up space. My laziness always gets the best of me. I guess I cant complain. We got a guy at work who's had a Harley sitting in boxes for 4 years! He's FINALLY getting it put back together.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:15 AM   #10

Making progress on the Zuma. But I just noticed I got sent the wrong pilot/slow speed jets. So after ordering 3 more jets at $5 each plus $10 for Priority shipping that stupid thing got me for ANOTHER $25!

I'm fully aware you gotta pay to play but I "thought" I had everything to get it running. It's been so long ago I can't even find the paperwork to see who sent me the wrong pilot jets. Laziness pays!

Final note of craziness. I'm cleaning the motor off from old oil and gunk. Vertical 2-strokes are a bit messy to begin with, but a seeping oil supply line and a tiny exhaust leak make it worse. I'm spraying Brake-Clean on everything getting in all the nooks and crannies and I notice the cat leaving the garage and he runs into the door. He's old anyways. I continue cleaning and Suicidal Tendencies-Controlled by Hatred starts. Next thing I remember is the room going sideways, loud stereo sounding weird and out cold! Wake up and the album is over. It was 100 degrees with the heat index in the garage. I had a floor dryer for a fan blowing on me and I guess the garage had poor ventilation. Don't huff chemicals! Its a horrible experience! My wife fussed at me but I feel better this morning.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:53 PM   #11

I think it will be worth it to get the Zuma running while the Piaggio is down. They were quite the little rockets in their day.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:34 PM   #12

Throwing in the towel on the Zuma. Who was it in Norfolk, VA area that was asking about it? Currently apart but a easy rebuild. Hit me up via PM if your'e still in the Norfolk, VA area and interested.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:03 AM   #13

I think I found the 98 Zuma a home. I just lost interest in it. It's about 70% assembled and all the other stuff to complete it is taped and marked. Told the guy $200 cash and carry. It also comes with a mint Corbin seat, new Yasuni Z exhaust, new cast Malossi 50cc race cylinder, new 17.5 Dellorto carb, service manual and a bunch of maintenance and tuning parts. It should be gone this week.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #14

I ended up giving him the pre-bug. He's a good dude and won't pull any flipper crap, but I did tell him that once he gets it back together its obviously his to do with what he wants. He intends to keep it stock looking with a Stage 1 set-up. Not really gonna miss the Zuma but I'm glad its in good hands. Told him to pay a favor forward to someone else down the road.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:50 PM   #15

Gone! Pre-bug is on its way to Florida. Still have my Piaggio Liberty that really only gets ridden on the weekends now.